Lifting toddlers while pregnant?

Hello,
I just found out that I was pregnant with my first child a week ago, and am in the process of scheduling my first appt., so I am not sure how far along I am, only that it is very early in the pregnancy. I work as a toddler teacher at a daycare center with ages 15 months to 24 months. I lift them all day long for diaper changing and carrying the more uncoordinated ones outside, ect. I was wondering if this is safe? Before I even took a test I had a lot of cramping in my abdomen and it sometimes hurt to lift them, now not so much. I just want to find a way to take care of my students and keep my baby safe and healthy. I was also wondering if it is safe to stretch out your ab muscles because they really feel like they need stretched, but I am afraid I will injure my uterus and the baby. I am just very paranoid. Lol.

LadyPink6908

Asked by LadyPink6908 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i am pregnant with my 4th boy and i have a 4yr old, 3 yr old and 19month old and i lift the 2 younger ones all the time. My 3yr old has down syndrome so he still needs lifted sometime into his crib and the truck...into his car seat. As long as you are lifting correctly with your legs, not back you should be fine. I would just limit the amount of lifting that you do. Have somebody else lift them and you can change them for exaple...when possible. I need to limit the amt i lift my 3yr old too...its just sometimes easier to lift him myself cuz he takes forever sometimes to get into the car...lol. congrats on your pregnancy.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My doctor told me that you can continue doing whatever you were doing before you got pregnant. So if you are used to carrying and lifting toddlers before, than you are fine to do so now.

When I got pg with my 2nd child - my oldest was just under 2, so I was carrying her around a lot.
    When I got pg with my 3rd - my middle child was just over 1, so I was also carrying him around too.

You will be fine. You will start feeling the round ligament stretching, when you do certain things.... at first it will scare you, because it is a little painful.......... but it totally normal, so let it scare you. It's a stretching sensation in the lower part of your abdomen. I started feeling those at about 4 weeks until about 10.

Congrats... but stay active and enjoy your pregnancy.... it will go by very fast.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Thanks for the advice. I thought that those feelings might have been stretching, but I just didn't know what it was since this is my first.
    LadyPink6908

Answer by LadyPink6908 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My Dr. did recommend that with my first pregnancy that I limit my lifting starting at around 5 months. Previous to the 5 month mark I was lifting 50 lb machines in and out of my car daily. If you are fit and at little risk of having a miscrriage then I would say that you are ok. Dont be afraid to ask for help if you need it though, you know your limits and should follow your instinct. With my current pregnancy I am working in a place that because of how I have been feeling, they wont let me lift anything, even little things. I think they are more paranoid than I am (lol).
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 2:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2009