How do you handle around Overly Proud parents?

My experience.....
I was at my friends house; and her friend was there bragging about how when her 3 year old was 12 months, she knew 30 English words, 20 Spanish, and around 50 sign language movements. okay, so she was bragging. Well then she said, " my kid was smarter then any 2 year old I know at one year." As I sat there with my 20 month old son. I was like, WOW, its one thing to brag, but have some common curtousy. I am in no race for child to talk, and I don't really care to hear made up stories on how a one year old could talk that much. Much less my child be downgraded just to make yours sound better.

Anyone else care to share some experiences...

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just smile & nod & say good for them. These parents have very little sense of self, their self worth is measured by their kids accomplishments, not their own. By "informing" you of their little ones gifts they are in essence trying to say "see what a good parent I am" I feel sorry for the kids, they will be trying to live thru their kids their whole lives. Can you say therapy?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• You say, we are focusing on social skills and modesty. We don't want our son to grow up to be an obnoxious bragger.

I agree with the PP. I feel sorry for her kids. She has issues and they will affect her kids.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Whenever something annoys me, it's either because I too am that way or I'm being challenged to grow past that point. I believe all things happen in Divine Order and people are exactly where they're supposed to be, feeling exactly what they're supposed to feel. By reaching deep within myself, I can discover what spiritual principles I'm violating that's causing me to feel annoyance. I'm real mindful of my own mouth and its tongue. I don't wanna get hung by my own tongue. So, I often utilize the powers of silence and prayer. The best way to be a friend, is to first be a friend to myself: by respecting myself, by establishing my own boundaries, by living the example and unhealthy people are, more often than not, deterred by me. Self acceptance, unconditional love, humility, powerlessness, forgiveness, caring, sharing, practicality, patience, prayer, prudence and tolerance are principles that come to mind.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Well said, Nyx! I can't stand uppity mothers like that, and I know several. Poor kids.
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 12:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I would not go there any more. i agree with Nyx. therapy... that person bragging has some deep issues and i would not allow my child around the crazy if at all possible
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• ya that is an insecure mom She has serious fears that she sucks as a mom so she is putting up a front
    Anonymous

• I fight very hard not to laugh at them. Occasionally I succeed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Just smile and nod. Smile and nod.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I'd be like..."That's great but is she enjoying life as well?" It's okay for kids to be smart but parents need to remember that they need to have fun too.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I have a friend like this, but her kids are mostly grown. Her youngest is thirteen and she has 2 grandchildren. She has 7 children, and to hear her talk, her kids are the smartest, most perfect human beings on the planet. Never mind that not one of her grown kids has graduated from college, her one daughter got pregnant out of wedlock after living with a complete and total loser who didn't even have a job, and she had to give the baby up for adoption. The 3 that are still living at home are totally average students, one is graduating this year with no aspirations of doing anything.Granted, her 2 oldest boys are in the Marines, which is great, but to hear her talk, they are the strongest, toughest, smartest, best Marines ever to enlist. Her 13 year old son has inherited her gift for bragging and he loves to run his mouth about how strong, smart and great he is. He has Little Man's Disease and needs to be buried in the sand.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2009