Christians: do you teach your children about Santa Clause?

If so do you talk about St Nick the bishop? How to merge Santa and Jesus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, there is nothing wrong with sharing the Birth of Jesus Christ and the fun stories of Saint Nicolas.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Teach them about the importance of the birth of Christ. And for fun, tell them stories about a generous man, who gave to the needy around Christmas. They are both good lessons. The birth of Jesus should be the main point though, IMO
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• We don't really teach our kids about Santa but we don't come out and say he is not real either. They know who santa is but we don't really focus on that. We focus on baby Jesus and we have a birthday cake for him and make sure our Christmas decorations are winter themed and religious themed. We don't have any Santa decorations at our house. We also focus on giving and not getting presents. The kids get 3 present each from us and then stockings. We have more fun shopping for cousins or for a child off of the angel tree.
    My children are 3 and 4 so they don't really ask about Santa. They also go to a Christian school where they focus more on Jesus in the classroom as well.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• There continues to be questions about Santa and about why non-Christians celebrate Christmas.

Here is a way some of you may be able to understand it and/or explain it. There are Christmas has 2 main figures, Jesus and Santa. The Christians celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus. Some but not all also encourage their children to believe in Santa and lots of presents are exchanged.

Non-Christians also celebrate Christmas, as a secular holiday. It's fun! There was a Jesus but that's not what is central to the holiday. They may or may not have religious beliefs. They may or may not promote Santa.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• No, I don't teach my children about Santa Clause. Nor do I encourage them to expect either a Christmas tree or gifts. I work hard to inspire them all year round and I buy accordingly (but specially I only shop sales year round). My children are teenagers now and do not feel deprived nor yield to peer pressure. I've also warned them about the evils of capitalism. I encourage them to give generously of their time to helping someone else. I'm more concerned about my children's souls than materialism. We participate in church sponsored events.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 10:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• We do.
    Jesus is the reason we have Christmas, and our children will be taught that first and foremost.
    Santa/ St Nicholas will also be taught the legend and facts of the history. He also will know the fun and joy of Christmas morning and Christmas eve, leaving milk & cookies out for Santa and seeing his face on Christmas morning with the things that Santa left for him.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• We taught our children the birth of the King. Then we taught them that Santa Claus is a cartoon character just like Mickey Mouse. As adults they said they never felt deprived only sad for their friends who would one day discover their parents had been lying to them for years.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes, it's fun. And I love to see their faces when they get up in the morning. They are only little once. In fact a lot of churches have Santa come visit the kids.They learn on their own as they get older where Christmas really came from, so what's the big deal? Have fun with it. I don't know anyone Christian or Non Christian who worships Santa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• my kids know it's jesus birthday but they also believe in santa especially my 7 yrl old...my other 2 are 12 and 13 and kinda have that suspicion santa isn't real well okay so they know but they still like to imagine at that age and I'd never take that from them but I also teach my kids to be greatful for what they do get and not complain cuz some kids don't have gifts cuz mom and dad can't afford them..I also teach my kids to give I give them each a little bonus or gift card of their own tobuy for other kids who don't have alot...while it's fun to play santa as a parent I find it hard to surcome to every childs wish because of the price of the gift...it's like how do you explain to a child why santa couldn't bring that gift?
    Anonymous

• I tell them Santa is pretend and people like to pretend that he brings presents. I think the St. Nick story is a good story to share with them sometime, but I haven't yet.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2009