My 5 year old has a loose tooth, Is that normal?

My daughter who is not yet 5 1/2 has a loose tooth. This seems way young to me. I wasn't expecting her to start losing teeth until she turns 6. Is this unusually early? She's still my baby. I'm not ready for her to start getting grown up teeth!

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 9:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope my dd will be 6 on Dec. 29th and she has just recently (in the last 3 months) lost her 2 bottom teeth.

I thought it was early too, but apparently not, most everyone in her kindergarten class has lost at least one, some up to 4. It's very normal. Get ready to get out the bucks, LOL. The tooth fairy rate has really gone up :-) - you can look on my profile page and see her picture of when she lost her first tooth, and the date.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes that is normal my daughter lost her first tooth on her 5th birthday
    msway

Answer by msway at 9:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Normal. Last year in kindergarten DS was racing 4 other kids to see who would lose the loose one first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• normal in my chlids pre k class this girl who turned 5 last week has lost 4 teeth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• That's about right, some kids lose them later. I heard an old wives tale once, that goes, if kids lose their teeth early they are very smart!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes, it's normal. Check out this site. Kids like it, and they learn about teeth.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes Mama! This is normal and you'd better brush up on the milestone ages etc and buckle up, because if grown up teeth have you feeling this way, it's going to be a bumpy ride! Keep up Mama, you can't stop it from happening so you might as well enjoy it. Sorry but it sounded like you needed a reality check to me...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• It is totally normal. Maybe a little on the early side, but there are averages for a reason. I kind of always thought that the earlier that they got the teeth in infancy, the earlier they would start to get their adult teeth. It's made sense in my household.

I know it is hard when your "baby" starts to really grow up. My youngest is headed that way too.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Average starts at 6 but it's not uncommon to start at 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• no way not to early ! I know how u feel i dont want mine to grow up either
    Kimberly_Morris

Answer by Kimberly_Morris at 10:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2009