My sons psychologial eval. has been done. Doc is leaning towards Aspergers.

I'm not surprised. I often wonder if I have it my self. My question is: If you have a child with Aspergers what was the Doctors tee-tale signs that he noticed? With my son it was social cues, constant monologing-most of it is very much only clear to Carl what it means. lol I never thought to much of it-though he just talked too much-I knew he worded thing s weird though. The way he uses his words and thinks or makes connections between objects that don't exist. Tantrums that stem from seemingly nothing to us but are a huge deal to him yet he can't express what is wrong. Also anxiety came up as a key factor in our preliminary diagnosis. We will get the full result in the next few days. he has to do his IQ test grading(though he said my son was very very bright) and figure his 'scores'. I just want the diagnosis to be right.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• A friend of mine has a brother with this, and the first thing that seemed diffferent was he would play video games and do odd things with his hands.. or draw and do the same things.. he would put them to his face and like wiggle his fingers. he said it helped him to see things? sounds strange, but he is a very talented artist and a very smart student, so im assuming it worked for him! he is now graduating high school and already got accepted into college!
    Good luck!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My oldest has Aspergers. With him I noticed he had to have things 'just so' (like lining up his toy cars), he had sensory issues, he had different speech patterns (like a robotic monotone), he would have meltdowns, he was NOT social, he did not have empathy/could not process other people's emotions..... (there is alot more).
    My son is very smart, and on the honor roll again this year, he likes school and he even made a few friends!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• The dr should also order a RAST test food panel for IgG to rule out any food sensitivities. These can cause behavioral & learning problems. This test saved my son.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I noticed some of the same things as MizLee with my Aspie.

I agree with also doing a food allergy panel. Getting my son off dairy helped his health and also it seemed to help with his communication etc...
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 1:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My kids are normal, but your son (OP) and MizLee's sure both sound a lot like me. Good luck with everything!
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2009