financial aid for a full time student vs partime

Iam going to talk to my advisor in january...i am right now registered as a full time student which i would take one or two classes online and another 2 or 3 classes in classroom or visversa...but my son is now 17 months and way more demanding of my attention, plus he likes to get into what i am doing...so i am worried that as a full time student i will not have enough time to do all my school work... I am a single mom so i cant rely on anyone to watch him. Can I still get a good amount of aid as a part time student?

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in

• You cannot get financial aid for less than 6 credits a semester. The amount is determined by your income from the previous year and how many credits your are taking. You also have a certain amount of time to make academic progress or you will be denied aid. Happened to me and I have to fill out a form every semester to get my aid. Do what you have to do finish school. Apply through the PA office for child care assistance, ask family or friends to help you out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You may run into problems with not making academic progress. You have to keep advancing in standing to keep getting financial aid. If you are going to a community college with low tuition and not taking the max loans you will probably be ok. If you have high tuition and have been getting the max in loans you may end up not being able to get fa to finish and have to start paying back loans.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My dd lost her day care assistance because they said she couldn't get it from just being a student, they said she had to be working. I am going to have her reapply in Jan, because she was only a part time student before Jan. How can a single mom work and go to school full time? I know you can take out student loans with being a part time student, but not sure how much else you will get. Be careful with the student loans, it isnt' as easy to repay them as you'd think. Being a single mom you should be able to get grants that will cover school, you don't have to repay those. But as for how to live and support yourself and your child during going to school full time, not sure how your sappose to do that. Your best bet is to talk to your advisor, and apply for any thing that you are eligible for, that you don' t have to repay.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Not sure what kind of FA you're talking about, but with grants you have to keep full time status to get the full amount. If you drop below that your grant money will be cut down if not eliminated. I'm pretty sure that for certain student loans you'll have to maintain full time status, but there are other types of student loans that will help cover you. The only way you'll know for certain is to talk to your FA officer.

Who watches DS while you're in class? Would they be willing to watch him a bit longer so you can get your homework done?

I was a single mom of two young boys and I worked full time and went to school full time and graduated. Granted, I had plenty of help with babysitting from my parents and a great friend, but it can be done. You will sacrifice your time with your child in order to give him a better life in a couple of years, so you'll have to make the choice of whether or not you want to do that.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My husband had a part time student loan and it messed him up big time.
    Do you have a community college near you? I know here in Las Vegas CCN has a daycare on campus for a lot LOWER rate than regular daycares. You only pay for when your child is there.
    Good luck honey!!!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Take a couple of online classes and a couple of campus classes. That would help.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• robyann: I know MANY single parents that go to school fulltime and work fulltime, while taking care of their kids. I currently go to school fulltime and work part time (could only find a part time job). It is done everyday by milions of people. Also, if your daughter isn't working, even part time, she will not get child care assistance. It is not easy to go to school, work and take care of a child but it is possible. I am doing it and maintaining a 3.5 GPA.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• they will typically just cut it down based on your attending hours. I have three kids and go FT myself but I am in a program. I don't get alot of help but I do it. Now I am with their dad but he is not so supportive and works alot so it really is mostly me. Now before I did mostly do online and wouild take like 3 classes which is like 3/4 time and my financial aid was less and I also worked.
    Anonymous