Fishers' of men

Can someone explain? I have never understood this phrase but I have heard it quite often in talking about the apostles that were fisherman

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Peter for one was a fisherman. Christ did say to him and now I will make you fishers of men. through teaching and living their life as Christ taught the apostles would "catch" the people then the Godhead would clean and keep them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Matthew 4:19 “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
    similarly to that is Luke 5:10 Jesus said to Simon: “Stop being afraid. From now on you will be catching men alive.”

They began following Jesus and became preachers and teachers, thus 'fishing' and 'catching' men where any they preached to and taught begin faithfully following Jesus too.

"How will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just as it is written: “How comely are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!” Matthew 10:14

These people are the 'fishers of men'.

PrivateWitness
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009