how do you get your 5 m/o to keep liquid meds. down??

my daughter just spits it all out!! she needs to take it for her ear infection and she has to take 1 tbsp but spits out almost all of it!!

x0newm0mmax0

Asked by x0newm0mmax0 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay, some say that this is "mean" but it's the only thing I was ever able to do to get my son to swallow meds at that age and it really isn't a mean thing to do. Once you put the medicine in her mouth (use one of those medicine syringes), blow in her face. Not hard or anything, just lightly blow. For some reason when you lightly blow on the baby's face, their reaction is to swallow. Don't know why it works - but it WORKS! Good luck mama, hope her ear gets better soon!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• try putting it in her bottle mixed with a drink maybe one ounce of drink, it will be enough to wash it down.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• A TABLEpoon or a TEAspoon? A tablespoon sounds like too much. I would mix it with a small amount of water and let her take it by bottle. Another way is to get a syringe from the pharmacy, squirt it a little bit at a time between her gum and teeth and let her swallow. It might take two or three shots. Follow with a water chaser by bottle. Make sure she is not lying down. Put her in the same position as you would for a bottle.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• DO NOT MIX without asking the doctor some medicines become ineffective or less effective if mixed. Also remember that if you mix it then they have to drink everything that was mixed. Try a syringe and put it at the back of the molars and hold her head back.
    TheEyesDesire

Answer by TheEyesDesire at 12:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• oops i meant teaspoon. lol
    x0newm0mmax0

Answer by x0newm0mmax0 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I too say try blowing in her face as soon as it is in her mouth so that it makes her swallow it. If that doesn't work or if you don't want to try that then pop a binky in her mouth as soon as you give her the meds.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• BLOW iN HER FACE BUT NOT ALOT
    YungMomma16

Answer by YungMomma16 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Give her a couple drops at a time. Put the dropper into the side of her cheek, so that the meds are dispensed at the back of her mouth. Blowing didn't work on my son, but it's worth a shot.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2008