My two and three year old fight all the time, is there a reason they do?

I've tried to separate them and put them in time out and all that. They look at each other and start screaming at one another. I've popped their butts. That don't work either.They are enough to drive me crazy when there dad is not home. They listen to him and not me. WHY?

Shilahcarnall

Asked by Shilahcarnall at 10:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes, they are siblings and that is what they are supposed to do. mine are stll doing it!! sibling rivalry!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My youngest two are also one year apart and when they were younger, they fought all the time. Since separating them did no good and eventually neither did their Dad's intervention, I bought them boxing gloves (and a punching bag) and said "May the best man win!" Sometimes it was my daughter, other times my son. They couldn't stand each other and yet, couldn't live without each other. The best I can tell you is that this too shall pass. My kids are now teenagers now and while they're extremely close, they no longer fight! Men and women react differently. As women, we tend to talk a situation to death. Men tend to act on a solution immediately. As a result, the children soon learn who doesn't tolerate bs rather quickly and, they respect that. Since reading "Act like a lady, think like a man," I've adapted and cut the chitter chatter.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• its' b/c they're siblings and that's all...they don't hate each other. As long as you give them attention, whether it be positive or negative, they will continue. My sister and I are 13 months apart so I understand. As long as they are not hurting each other, just ignore it and when they see that they aren't getting any feedback it should stop. They are probably also feeding off of the stress that you are feeling.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• They do it just to make me mad. its tough to have three children under five. Times they play well and others they just FIGHT all the time. Like today. That is one of those fighting day. its horrible
    Shilahcarnall

Answer by Shilahcarnall at 11:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes it's because they are two and three. It doesn't stop, I've learned to tune it out unless it gets serious.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I understand that. But the thing is its a constant thing. I don't want to hear it to be honest. not every minute of the day. I need a break at least and hour a day. But anyway.
    Shilahcarnall

Answer by Shilahcarnall at 11:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My oldest 2 are 15 months apart and they fight quite a bit because they are 3 and 4. However, I have found that engaging them in activities, getting out of the house and having quiet time for a couple hours a day in their own rooms helps a lot. They definitely have a love/hate relationship but they fight more when they are bored, tired, hungry, ect..
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes, I know it's a constant thing, sorry you don't want to hear it, but there's not much you can do about it unless you separate them all day. If you need a break, that's what designated quiet time is for. Whether they nap or not they go in separate rooms for an hour. Not to be rude, but it may not be the kids, it may be something you need to do differently.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• lil angel has some good ones too!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Because that's what little kids do! I've never seen kids that age that don't fight! Perfectly normal, get used to it!
    Anonymous