Is it okay to leave an 18 month old alone in the living room for 5-10 minutes while I take a shower?

Got into a fight with my mom yesterday about this. My daughter usually takes showers with me, but about once a week I just want to take a shower by myself. So I put on a movie, and take a quick shower. My house is babyproof, the outlets are all plugged up, the cabinets with chemicals are babyproof, there's nothing she can choke on, even if she did put stuff in her mouth (which she doesn't). My mom said it's still unsafe to leave her for five minutes while I take a shower. I said that I think most moms do this.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is it safe? nothing is 100% safe, so no, it's not safe. but if your house is 100% baby-proofed, and you can't shower while she's sleeping, and you don't have someone else to look after her while you shower, then you've DONE all you can. 1158 anonymous can be witchy all she likes about "you'll be sorry WHEN you find her" etc., but the odds are against it.

we want to protect them, but we can only do so much. me, i don't have to shower every day, and my little ones are bigger now. but they slept beautifully when they slept and i could leave them while i showered.

we all choose our risks and it's ridiculous to say she's a bad mommy for wanting to have 5 minutes a week to herself. i'm sure there are plenty of things all of these anonymous respondents do that have a calculated risk but they don't tell everyone or THEY'd get bashed. :p
    MamaBear1001

Answer by MamaBear1001 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Maybe in a playpen, not roaming free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• No it's not. And do you really take a 5 minute shower? What if he fell off a chair, or a couch head first? Choked on something? No house is 100 percent baby proof. I used a pack and play or the baby jail. Just not worth it. My house is baby proof and they still would find ways to give me a heart attack!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Put her in her crib or playpen.
    TRUNINA

Answer by TRUNINA at 11:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• OP here

I know my daughter, and she is more likely to fall out of her crib trying to get out than to fall off a chair or something. That's because she has never been confined like that and there's no way she will put up with it now. The last time I tried that she was trying to climb out within 2 minutes. I don't have a pack & play.

What do you guys do to get a shower by yourself? Do you all use some sort of confining device?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• If you don't have a playpen, use a car seat. If it's 5 minutes buckle her in and put in the bathroom with you... 18 months is too young to be on their own in the house. Something could happen in the blink of an eye. I would have to side with your Mom....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• OP again

You do realize that she won't fit in an infant carseat, right? And that having a screaming child flailing and trying to get out of a carseat is worse than having her in the shower with me? lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Knowing your daughter doesn't mean something couldn't happen. Kids never cease to amaze us at times. Sounds like you already decided so why are you asking? These ladies gave you some really good answers. And she didn't say infant carseat, she has a carseat right? I think you already are going to do what you are going to do and it didn't really matter what our suggestions would be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I have done it. I know alot of mom's that have. I do however leave the bathroom door opened, and gate the hallway, so she only has access to to her room and me, not in the living room, mine has to much to get into, electronics, tons of stuff to climb, etc... This is only in extreme instances though, it's really better to wait till she is asleep at night or taking a nap.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• OP

Sorry, I'm not gonna lug her carseat in once a week to take a shower by myself, listen to her scream and cry and possibly knock it over trying to get out, then go back out and go to all the trouble of installing it properly by myself. Not gonna happen. And all these answers say to restrain her, which I don't agree with, and won't work for this kid. So FOR ME, they are not good answers. Maybe for other moms they would be, but not for me. Restraint is not an option.

Yeah, stuff can happen. But falling off my couch is not going to kill her. Or even break bones. Or leave a bruise for Christ's sake! I honestly don't see the big deal.

I would really like to get some answers that don't include restraining her. If there is a middle ground here I would be happy to take it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2009