I am politically challenged. Does this health care reform pay for abortions or not?

Please talk to me like you would a 1st grade student.

Yes, it will

No, it won't.

nobody seems to be able to give me a straight answer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's because it isn't set in stone yet. There are two different bills, one in the house, one in the senate. Before they can make it a law, the house and senate have to combine those into one bill and agree on everything. One of the issues they disagree on is abortion coverage (some/all/none). There's no telling who will cave first - it depends on how much they want to pass anything (a lot of them will lose re-election if it passes, others think they will lose re-election if it doesn't).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I thought that was going on last night
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Abortions are funded by OHIP  (Ontario health insurance plan, which is our free health care in Ontario).

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• the senate debating that health care plan? Notice the "This" while it wasn't spelled out it should be clear the one that is up for debate is the United States one and would be "this" I appreciate your humor but really I am trying to get a straight answer on THIS bill.

I ask and the question always gets turned into something else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

What?  Can you try that one again in english.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

That's only the senate half of the debate. Once the senate comes to full agreement, then they have to reconcile their bill with the one the house passed last month - the house bill is completely and totally different - they left out stuff the senate left in, the senate took out stuff the house left in. And more than likely, we the people won't be told word one about what is or isn't in it in time to read it before it's signed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• so the senate hasn't come to full agreement or passed the health care reform yet?

do we know how long it will be? The way the news sounded it was being voted on overnight and already had the votes to pass

We don't know if either funds abortions? is there an idea?

Beeky, pardon me I am going to ignore you. You really have added nothing to this.
    Anonymous

• There's a test vote at 1 AM tonight - in the spirit of full disclosure, they're making sure to have it when everyone in America can watch it live /sarcasm off
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• test vote? I am stupid in this area-is this just to see how many are for or against?

what is keeping a person against from voting yes? or vice versa just to screw with the numbers?

I take it there is not a hint on what is or is not going to be allowed?
    Anonymous

• and why do it at night? We can watch CNN in the morning. It would be better to watch a rerun of it in the morning anyways,.

Fresh in our minds and able to call our senators.
    Anonymous