Can I defrost crab meat in the microwave?

It may be a stupid question, but I'm not sure. I took it down yesterday, but it's not unthawed yet. It says to keep it refrigerated, so I can't let it unthaw at room temp.

Asked by nikkiJ86 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Um,'re trying to thaw it, not unthaw it...just thought I'd point that out...

Anyway, there's no harm in letting it sit on your counter for an hour or so to thaw. It'll still be plenty cold. You can also soak it, in the package, in a bowl of cold water.

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• No! Put in in a strainer, put it in the sink and run the cool faucet water over it for ten minutes. It's really delicate meat and hot water and microwaves will cook it.

Answer by Steff107 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• unthaw does not mean freeze sweetie.

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Thanks!

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I don;t think she asked a grammer question--LOL! Take tha package and put it in cool water in the sink, the microwave even on defrost can make the meat rubbery!

Answer by kimigogo at 1:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I hate thawing in the micro on second too long will turn it to rubber try a bowl of cold water

Answer by freedomthinks at 1:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I'd soak it in a bowl of water but I would not put it in the microwave

Answer by admckenzie at 3:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2009