turn the other cheek? have you? have you failed?

Do you ever shake your head at a question on here and say turn the other cheek? I was about to respond to a question had it typed out and hit the back button. I will admit there are times after I posted the response I wish I had turned the other cheek.

Have you failed to turn the other cheek? Do you feel bad after? do you learn from the mistake?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes and yes and yes.... i admit I have turned the other cheek at times.... and other times I failed to do this.... and then I feel bad about it
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes I have. And it is a good thing to do. It makes the other person feel better, and it makes me feel that I have done the right thing.

Answer by Bmat at 12:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes, I think I do. I dont always have the answers so I dont respond to a question. I dont want to ever bring anyone down either.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i don't think of not-responding to a post as 'turning the other cheek'. if you have nothing nice to say, in reference to a post/question, you're only being mature and wise to not answer. turning the other cheek would be a response to someone's ill-action towards you. just because i don't agree with something, doesn't mean it warrants a martyr-like take-the-whipping on my part.
    but to answer the gist of the question, yes, i have turned the other cheek when i've been hurt or negatively acted upon. sometimes i haven't, and i've lashed back in anger..i'm only human. does it make me feel bad if i don't turn the other cheek? sometimes yes, sometimes it makes me feel justified. ..just keepin' it real.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I've gotten pretty good at turning the other cheek, but I only have two...
    Seriously, I am not that easily offended especially by stuff online. I feel like laughing at things here more often than I feel a need to retaliate.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 12:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Have I turned it before...many times.

Have I not and then felt guilty...a few times.

I make it a point to learn from everything in my life so of course Ive learned something. Be it that I should have said something or that I was smart not to or that I could have said something but worded it better,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I have done this and on occasion, have felt guilty about it, but it depends on the question. On the other hand, I have been "turning the other cheek' when it comes to my family for most of my life, and every time it's the same, I feel really badly for doing it, and until recently have not learned my lesson. That's all changed now!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 1:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I've done it more than people know. I never feel guilty if I post something though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes, I have been both successful in turning the other cheek and unsuccessful here and in the real world. Here, I guess I realized it was causing me to get too worked up and behave in a way that I didn't like. I like civil debate but if it's causing me to get emotional then it's too much. I've got enough stress in the real world without stressing about something here.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I would have to say, it depends on the situation. There are many grey areas in life and you need to be wise as to where you want to compromise, which basically, to me, is the nature of this question, and not respond as low or offensively as the other person, or if you want to defend yourself and not compromise if you are being attacked or abused.
    I'd say in case of abuse, the rule of 'turn the other cheek' cannot be applied, EVER, in my opinion. Neither verbal or physical. You need wisdom to tell the difference between abuse and a fight not worth fighting.
    In my opinion we, humans, have an obligation not to take abuse, but also look for peaceful solution if it just takes compromise to solve a problem.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 1:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009