do you teach your child about giving or receiving or both?

For xmas one year my dh got laid off due to company closure that happened 4 days before christmas eve I had two really small kids ages 4&5 and we was counting on his last check to purchase xmas gifts. He didn't make much so it was the check before christmas eve we would use well he didn't get it I was 6 months pregnant with my now 7yr old we had no money for nothing. the church we go to did help us but we didn't buy one thing even though my kids didn't get what they asked for I found it don't make a difference with little ones as long as there is a toy to play with...I let my kids believe in santa well the little one the others still like to pretend but this yr, dh got a really small bonus and we have no xtra cash to save how do you go about explaining to a kid he's not getting what he asked for? I normally teach my kids it's not about what you get it's about giving to others that may not have anything so I came up with

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• an idea about 2 yrs ago to teach my kids to give instead of always wanting to receive. I either give them a little bonus of cash or put it on a gift card and they each have to choose a child to buy for that won't have an xmas this year due to finances...do you think this is a good idea? I remember one year (this is why I came up with this idea) my then 12 yr. old complained about what she got from a family member instead of being grateful...well she now knows the difference at 13 that it's not about what you get it's being grateful for what you do get cuz a lot of kids don't get christmas because they are too poor. Last year I made them buy toys for tots..It works out great because they don't expect as much...My 7 yr. old wants a ds this year but it's about what money we have like I said above hubby's bonus wasn't big this year we only have so much so just knowing how sad he will be this yr..maybe thinking about what cont.
    Anonymous

• other kids won't have will help with this....Maybe LOL
    Anonymous

• When ds is old enough to understand he will learn the importance of giving and also about being an appreciative receiver.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• They will learn the importance(well they are learning it now)of giving and will learn to appreciate what they are given and be grateful for it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I am not Christian, and I have never understood what gifts have to do with the birth of Jesus.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2009