Baby doesn't turn head when he spits up...

My baby is three moths old. Meconium aspiration at birth. Three weeks in the NICU. He has great range of motion and support in his neck according to his pediatrician. I can see spit up come all the way up to his lips when he's laying on his back but he doesn't turn his head.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Turn him on his side for him. If he spits up often you might want to lay him on his side on a regular basis so he won't choke on his spit up. It can also cause a lot of congestion if he's always swallowing his spit up.
    Anonymous

• my son also doesnt turn his head when he spits up. hes now three months old. he now sleeps on his side or in his swing because im so scared. i woke up to the noise of him spitting up. i then heard him thrashing about in his bassinet. he was literally drowning in his own spit up. it was EVERYWHERE. it was overflowing his mouth. it was 2 hrs after he ate, so who knew he'd be spitting up two hours later right? NEVER again will i let one of my children sleep on their backs. EVER! (this is obviously my own opinion and situation)
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• DS also slept on his side when he was little. We had the same thing happen as PP. We had to use the bulb suction to get the spit up out of his nose :( poor baby! Anyway we just rolled up a reciving blanket and laid him on his side. Not like up on his shoulder and hip. His butt was still pretty much flat on the mattress, but he was at enough of an angle that his head would naturally fall to the side. This also kept him from getting a flat head.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 1:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• This is why I didn't have a problem laying my son on his belly. Since it's advised against now just try laying him on his side with something propped up behind him.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Most babies don't. They don't know to react that way when they spit up until they're older. It takes a while for them to understand that when you turn your head you don't choke on it. Sit him up or roll him to his side when he starts to spit up. Do it for him and eventually he'll get the idea.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• awww poor thing! Just make sure the baby is not on his/her back. Have the baby coming forward not backwards.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2009