Pregnant and have a cold

What do you do when you're pregnant and you have a cold? I know you can't take nyquil or anything like that. Any alternatives to getting over this damn cold without risking baby?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• honey and lemon in your tea, there are some things that docs say are safe to take when preggo but I never wanted to chance it.. Get well soon :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Thank you Shyma. I will try that. I just remembered won ton soup always works for me too.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• call your doctor is all I can say they will give you a list of things you can take . My doctor told me sutafed (sorry can't spell) It helped a lil with the stuff nose and the sore throat .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 1:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Im pretty sure you can take anything tylenol. But ask you ob to be sure. But im like 95% sure you can take Tylenol cold
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• You can take psudafed after you are 12 weeks so it really depends on how far along you are. But nothing will help you get "over" a cold, you can just help mask the symptoms while it runs it course
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better