What are your family traditions for the holidays ? I need ideas!

When I was growing up, we didn't really have any of these; we were lucky if we got presents at all. I want to start some for my own children, however. Thanks for taking the time to share your special memories, and have a Merry Christmas!

SeanandNoahsmom

Asked by SeanandNoahsmom at 1:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Holidays

• You could try my inlaws way, get really drunk, burn the turkey, start an argument that makes no sense, them open presents and pass out.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Open one present after dinner on Christmas Eve. Whether it be a wrapped gift or the stocking.
    Watching the parades on TV Christmas morning.
    New Christmas PJ's every year that they're put to bed in. So on Christmas morning they're opening presents in their Christmas PJ's.

We're trying to think of new traditions, but I haven't thought of many..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• GRowing up things were way different then they are now. growing up we went to my moms family on the eve and dads family on the day. we had dinner at both places and on the day after an early dinner my grandma would put out a huge spread of munchies and friends would show up and visit.

Now I live too far from family so it is just DH and I and the kids, on the eve we give the kids one present each (jammies) and then we bake cookies and watch movies. we normally watch polar express and one other, then we put out the reindeer food on the lawn (oatmeal and glitter) then cookies and milk get put out. after the kids are in bed asleep DH and I open a bottle of wine and the cheese and meat platter my grandmother sends and we play santa and have a few hours of alone time. the next morning we open all our gifts, then i make a dinner and we have friends over. It is relaxing and nice.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• We make Christmas cookies on Christmas eve to give to Santa. We listen to Christmas music and bake together. Then we have texmex for dinner and crack open a pinata (Lots of Texans do this trust me it is a blast!) then we put cookies, milk and carrots out for Santa and his reindeer and go online and watch the Santa tracker together. We read the night before christmas before bedtime :)
    Anonymous

• Not much religion for our family but we did open one gift after an early dinner on xmas eve. Then the Santa gifts for us were one or two big items that were already put together near the fireplace, ready to be played with right away. All other gifts were wrapped under the tree. oh and of course we made cookies and milk for santa.
    Now that I'm a new mom I like the idea of adding our own touches to the family traditions. I think I'll leave carrots out for santas reindeer, that's a great idea!
    mrsmamalove

Answer by mrsmamalove at 3:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2009