Pnemonia or Just A Cold?

All three of my kids have this disgusting chesty cold with a ton of snot. They are all eating well and still playing. It just doesn't go away! Lot's of coughing and hoarse voices. The thing is you take them to the ER they just tell you it's a virus that has to run it's coarse! They seem happy and no fevers or anything like that, just really nasty and congested. Am I being paranoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Actually no your not, my nephew was like this and my SIL took him to the ER and they only did the chest x-ray because he had fallen the day before and wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong. that's when they found the pneumonia. The doctor even said he would not have even considered it because his chest sounded fine and he was acting normal other than the cough and sinus trouble. If you truly believe it is more then ask for x-rays that is the only way they can be sure to rule it out. Even I who has had pneumonia 4 times didn't even think my nephew had it, I figured he had a cold or virus that was just hanging on.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My son gets pneumonia (asperation pneumonia) every 4-6 weeks and has been getting it for 4 1/2 years now. His doc has NEVER send him for a chest xray when he hasnt ended up having pneumonia so I trust her advice on his lungs. But I do not tend to take him to the ER for his repiratory complications because with him, they exaggerate everything and always want to hospitalize him.

If your children had pneumonia they would most likely be retracting when they breathe and showing some sort of struggling to get air in. Even if they have pneumonia but arent struggling to breathe, it wont hurt them to wait til tomorrow to see their ped instead of going to the ER. My son usually appears fine the first few days of his pneumonia. He will be retracting & struggling to breathe but his temperment and energy level seem to be fine at the start.

I would take your kids to their ped if you are worried.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Virus.
    It would be highly unlikely that all of your children had pneumonia... because it's something that develops, not something you catch.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Does your pediatrician have an x-ray? If not call around, I'm sure someone in your area does. All they need to do is a chest x-ray, no need to mess with the ER.
    Anonymous

• How old are they? Have you tried an expectorant (robotussien)?...to loosen the mucus and help cough/sneeze it up.
    Anonymous

• look for the mucus to turn color if its yellow or green thats an infection and they will need antibac.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I am sure that it is a virus. Get some elderberry syrup (a fantastic anti-viral, especially for upper respiratory infections, and twice as effective as tamiflu) and Boiron Coldcalm (a homeopathic remedy)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• No pedi? Usually cheaper than an ER visit and can be more helpful, I think.

Anyhow, how long has the cold been going on? Usually, after about a week if symptoms have not began to subside, there is often bacterial growth in the mucus (it's an ideal place for bactia to grow. So the longer there is congestion, the better the chances of infection). So if it's not getting better, and it's been more than a week, definately consider taking them in. Fever is not always present. In fact, my daughter has had cronic ear infections, and a hand full of lung infections over her 3 years of life and only had a fever with 2 of them. She acts perfectly fine and full of energy. If not for well visits, rechecks, or linger colds I never would have known about the infections until they got much worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My daughter had pneumonia and had NO FEVER OR LABORED BREATHING AT ALL. She was playing, eating and acting normal, just complained of her tummy hurting. If you are worried, insist they do an x-ray to be sure. My daughter had it for as long as 6 weeks before a new doctor did an x-ray. I had her in for cough and congestion 3 times in 6 weeks and they found it on the last time in. Follow your gut, you are probably right!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• IF you think your kids have something worse than a cold, then take them to the doctor. None of us on this site are doctor's. When it involves breathing, I err on the side of caution and take my son to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2009