catholics and connection to a church

O.K. I have a question for catholic christians out there. I am protestant and I have noticed that most protestant churches have a lot of activities and classes to be involved with. Not only does that help us learn about God and our faith but it ties us to a church because we become friends with the others who attend. Does the catholic church have similiar activites, for the adults? I know you have ccd, and of course catholic schools, but what else?

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 2:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Different churches/parishes will have different things - but yes most Catholic Churches have groups and events for adults. My parish is fairly large and has a Catholic bible study, has small faith communities that meet regularly, a singles group, a group for new mothers, a book club, a prayer group for fathers, caregivers support group, berevement support group, among others. There are also different groups that help in the community - social action committees and other ministries. And there are various talks and presentations - at least one monthly.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Off the top of my head, my Church has a group called the Sister's of St. Anne's, I think there's a group for the guys too (besides the KoC), we are starting a group for Parents of Small Children and there are activities each month that we can get involved in if we choose to. I think it probably depends on each individual Church and how active the members want to be or how big the Parish is. But yes there are activities for the adult to get involved
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Every church is going to be different. One thing I have noticed about the Catholic Churches in my area is they really bend their schedules to meet the needs of the congregation. On church has Children's Sunday School before Mass @ 11am and adult breakfast while the kids are in class.

One church has a larger number of parishioners and will rotate classes. My grandfather was in the 4 clovers club that was made up of Catholic men. They changed their topics and people sign up for classes relating to a topic of their choice.

We have the JR daughters that put on an Easter breakfast and a picnic every fall. This church is a bit smaller so the kids have religious ed classes and the adults are welcome to stay for religious bible discussion.

The diocese has marital classes for every couple that is planning to get married, and reconnection classes for couples who are married and want to find a new connection. The woman have
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• sorry ran out of room
    the woman have retreats just for woman sponsored by different people, themen have retreats for them and married couples have their own retreat. There are kids retreat and one church even did a vacation bible school for the kids over the summer.
    as for the Catholic schools, don't take this lightly. We partner with other schools for girls scouts, skating parties and dances. A few of the churches got together and run one school for three different parishes now. The Catholic schools actually has several social engagements for the kids while keeping the faith witih us.

Senior year, the kids go to the retreat center to enjoy their own retreat.

oh we have youth groups as well. That is all I can think of right now, but I am sure more will come to mind later.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Each church is very different but most will have many activities for every age group. My church has bible studies, a quilting club, family nights, speekers that come, a book club, groups for teenagers, they have regular gatherings for moms and dads, ect.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes, our parish has numerous activities for learning more about the faith, fellowship, prayer, service, etc . . . Personally, I teach Sunday school (CCD), and there is a program for the parents during that time where they can go to a bible study if they would like to. I also attend a weekday bible study for adults, which is offered at two different times -- one during daytime and one during the evening so that it is convenient no matter what the work situation is. My husband is in the Knights of Columbus, which does a lot of service work both within the parish and out in the community. I also do other volunteer work both within the parish and outside of it. If I wanted to, I could probably find something to do at church every single day! There is a stitching club that knits and quilts. They recently taught the youth group how to knit so that they could make scarves to sell as a fundraiser for workcamp. I love my parish
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 9:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• it varies from parish to parish. at my current one there is not too much but you can tell they are trying to do more. i am currently involved in the Why Catholic? program and they are starting an 8 week course for Moms of kids 10 yrs old and younger in Feb. the parish we were in before we moved was a lot bigger and had a lot of activities for all age groups.
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 10:59 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• We have a men's club, and a Knights of Columbus (different) and ACTS retreats for adults and different ACTS retreats for teens. We have an Altar Guild for women, and several mini-retreats that only last half a day on Saturdays (usually for faith formation). We either have a breakfast served by the KoC or donuts throughout Sunday morning (8am - 12noon). I know we have more, but that's just off the top of my head for right now.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Different parishes have different activities, if any. The parishes I have attended have had nothing outside of CCD, mass and Knights of Columbus. I still attend Sunday mass and my children are in CCD but we don't have an adult class so I go to bible studies and prayer meetings at other local churches. Surprisingly, I have found more/better fellowship outside of my faith than inside of it... doesn't help when most everyone is rushing out the door before the benediction (instead of going back to their seats after communion, they head straight for the doors). Sad.
    Anonymous