I am 26 weeks pregnant and continuously gets migraines. What can I do?

I really don't want to take any meds. When I was pregnant last year with my daughter I had migraines and they sent me to the neuorologist who was giving me a prescription that contained steroids. I didn't take that out of fears. Now I keep having these excessive migraines. I eat, drink and nothing happens. I just don't know what to do.

BUBBLES1121

Asked by BUBBLES1121 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? Do you get migraines when not pregnant. I would suggest a sleep study. If you have sleep apnea the drops in your oxygen levels while you sleep can cause migraines during the day but also could lead to tons of other health problems. The sleep test is completely safe during pregnancy and treatment for apnea is annoying but completely safe as well.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 2:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• talk to your ob. i had migraines through my pregnancies and they gave me migraine medication that is safe for pregnancy.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I don't know if I'd call them migraines but I get head aches all throughout pregnancy. I was told to only take tylenol, but if yours are more serious I'd talk to your doc see what medications they recommend and then do your own research. I believe my headaches are exacerbated by the computer and TV. I use a cold eye mask and lay in bed. I think ponds makes cucumber pads that you store in the refrigerator.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Do you keep a food diary? Some common migraine trigger foods are: nitrates (like in cured meats), vinegar, chocolate, cheese, tree nuts, MSG/HFCS. You may want to work with a nutritionist/dietician, or on your own, to structure an elimination diet to try to determine if you have any migraine trigger foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Lay down in a dark room (if your kid allows it.. LOL!) and lay a nice warm cloth over your forhead and eyes. It feels great. And even when it goes cold. It's useually the ONLY thing that takes my migrains away.. I was on medication before I got pregnant.. but as soon as we started TTC, I stopped them too.
    Good luck mama
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 11:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• my doctor put me on calcium, magnezium and zinc supplements. i didnt want to go on perscription meds, so this was the alternative. no migraines since then. :)
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2009