What can it be

The past 2 or 3 days my son has had a little loose stool that smells horrible. It is so bad that is smells up the whole livingroom. He only does maybe 2 or 3 of them a day, he does not have a fever or anything else except he has started to have a cough. Does anyone have any idea of what can be wrong. I will take him into his doctor tomorrow as I don't want to take him into an emergency room. My son is 18 months old so not sure if this is something could be with him maybe teething since he only has 4 1/2 teeth, I was told maybe his back teeth.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 2:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you fed him anything like broccoli or brussel sprouts or anythng else gassy?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My bet would be he's picked up an intestinal bug. It tends to have a very strong, distinctive smell. Try the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) until it passes. Make sure he stays hydrated (as long as his diapers are wet, you're ok.) Call you doctor's office before you go (you can probably even get someone to call you back today). If it is just a bug, it will pass and they won't do anything for him. The less he's around other kids who are sick, the better.
    Anonymous

• I can't get either of my kids to eat broccoli or brussel sprouts even tried to put cheese and still a no go. LOL Do you might know how long an intestinal bug last. He has plenty of wet diapers so not worried there.my daughter never got sick with anything until this year and she is 3 years old so this is a bit new to me. I will have to make an appointment for my son tomorrow, I figure I minds well since it is time for his 18 month appointment anyways.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 3:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009