Waxing question....

Allright ladies... I'm debating on doing my 1st ever, at-home bikini wax, as I'm sick of the itchiness that goes with shaving. (Don't tell me to go have someone else do it; I don't have the $$$ for it.) I'm wondering though... Is there something I can do to make it hurt less? Like... I noticed when I put Oragel on my daughter's gums, it numbs my finger... Could I use it for something like this?? I don't need anyone being batty or bitchy on here, if that's your agenda then save it. I'm just kinda lost on this and looking for advice from someone who's done it before...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Yes orajel would help. The biggest thing it to MAKE SURE YOU HOLD THE SKIN TAUNT! If you cant get the skin tight you are screwed. It hurts BAD if it pulls the skin. oh and as snoober said dont go over it morre then once. Personal I would shave until I had the money to get it done at a salon...Tea tree oil helps with the itching and bumps of shaving. Good Luck
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Um... have fun with that. I think it sounds absolutely ridiculous! Are you trying to look like a prepubescent child??

Anonymous

• no, its very painful. i bet you go back to shaving
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• OP here.
    Anon 2:54... No obsession with looking like a child. I just prefer being bare to looking like an ape. Not to mention that it's cleaner than having a nasty bush. (Your answer makes me think that you don't do any grooming - gross - and seeing as how the only women I know that don't are my mom's age and older... Butt out. You're out of your element here.) Besides, didn't you see my comment on 'no catty or bitchy comments please'? I asked nicely, but since you didn't observe, I'm now telling you: Shut the hell up.
    Anonymous

• you can wrap some ice with a washcloth and numb the skin first. also take an antiinflammatory first. oh and do NOT go over it more than once. that skin starts getting ripped off after 1 time.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 4:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Also you may want to take a couple of Ibprofen before waxing it'll help and wont hurt as much.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I take advil and chew gum... works for me
    MaWolf

Answer by MaWolf at 11:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I recently tried an at home waxing kit from Bath & Body Works for the same area. Unfortunately, it didn't work well for me. It hurt really bad and I had a hard time getting the wax off. That particular kit was the kind where you don't use strips though, you just pull on the wax itself. So, I wouldn't recommend that one. Since then I've talked to some friends who are in that business and they say that you absolutely have to use the type with pull strips. Just a word of advice. As far as making it less painful ~ some margaritas before? LOL Just kidding! Good luck though and if you find a great product please post it on here because I would love to try it myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Wow, I guess I'm just a chicken. I almost cry having my eye brows waxed. I HATE pain, just shave pretty regularly... using conditioner in place of shaving cream (it works!).
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Okay, tried the bikini line twice and BAD IDEA - at least for me. Are you doing the whole thing or just your bikini line?

I know you said you don't have the money to go to a salon BUT have you thought about going to a cosmetology school? By the time I bought all the supplies I should have just gone to the school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2009