what would you do?

my daughter spent the weekend with her dad and thismorning he called me and asked me to come pick her up because his girlfriends 5 year old son was caught fondeling my 7 year old daughter. his mom is trying to tell me that it is normal curiosity! i reported it to the police hoping they will make him do some counseling or something. it is not normal behavior....is it? what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is normal to be curious, but that still doesnt make it right. curious at this age would be looking i think touching is over the line.
    Anonymous

• Both children and families will be investigated. Your child will probably be in more trouble because she is older. I hope you are up for all the problems you have caused by calling the police. For the kids sake I hope CPS puts off doing anything until after Christmas.
    Anonymous

• youve probably jumped the gun by calling the police on a child. they are naturally curious and unless your daughter is freaking out i wouldve let it go...she will be in trouble for this too
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• What fondling exactly was done? Wow you got one great husband to call you like that!!! It had to have been something really for him to call you. Some men would just ignore it, unfortunately and say he's just a boy. You need to find out the details of how a five year old boy did to a seven year old girl??
    Anonymous

• I would not only have called the police, but I would call my attorney too and make sure that child was never there at any time that my child was visiting the father again. You are her mother, and you have a duty to protect her.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was sleeping. whatever a**hole thinks my kid is going to get in trouble for being molested in her sleep just because the kid was younger than her is a f#$^%$ idiot! and any parent who would just let it go or thinks i jumped the gun by reporting it is just a bad parent.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Wow. I find it hard to believe that you would accuse a 5 year old of molestation. Wow. It is very normal for kids that age to be curious about other people (same or different sex). I can understand why your daughter is upset and I believe the 5 year old should be explained appropriate and inappropriate behavior, but I find it very difficult to believe he was being malicious. They won't charge anyone under 6 with murder, so i doubt they would do anything about this. Again, i understand why you are upset, but I think calling the cops was way over the line.
    Anonymous

• It is very normal at there age to be curious........That is another reason why children these days need to be talked with sooner about everything.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• someone taught the boy this behavior. both children needs to see a professional immediately.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I would have called CPS and reported the situation. Yes it is normal but sometimes children do experience what we call sexual reactivity. Which means someone one did that to them and now they are doing it to someone else. How can we tell? We can't until a forensic interveiw is done. Even then sometimes it is inconclusive. You will not get into trouble because your daughter is older. The thing I would do is to report the situation so if there is a possible problem of sexual reactivity then it can be looked into. Also I woud never allow my child to visit again with that child unless they had adult supervision at all times. Which means even they were watching television they need an adult supervision. I worked with child victims of assault several years ago in my career. Sometimes it is normal and sometimes is is not. But if they called you to come get your child - then they are the ones who ovbiously
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2009