• In the Spotlight:

How do I get help to buy Christimas for my children?

I have no money, and nothing. I have a place to live and food, But sometimes that is meaningless unless you. Lets just put it this way. My kids have no christmas Because I don't have anymoney to buy them any. I have three kids. What do i do. I went to ask for help but they had no funds available for my children so there again they have no christmas and they are starting to get old enough to realize that there is a such thing called christmas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Holidays

• ask your any church, Salvation Army, The Lions Club, your town and county's community organizations. For presents if you have one dollar per child or fifty cents per child turn it into smaller coins and wrap each one in comic newspaper if you don't have wrapping paper cuz of expense. Those coins can get over time a gumball machine toy gift or ring or necklace in the supermarket!!!

Thrift stores (less expensive than consignment shops, jmo, sell toys and games and clothes at incredibly great inexpensive costs. Have toys at home already that they've not played with for a while - switch them to different kids, dust them off.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Unfortunatly most places arent offering help with it being this close, I know the salvation army here stopped a taking registrations a few weeks ago :( What about your family? Can they help you. Im sorry times are so hard for you.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 3:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Christmas is not something you can buy.

If they are only starting to get old enough to understand then that means they are still young enough that you can keep them from feeling bad about Christmas.

Put ads in freecycle and craigslist for used toys in good condition. You will probably be able to get some. I give things to people all the time and we don't even have enough food to eat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• christmas has become such a commercialized materialistic holiday! Makes many feel like they HAVE to have presents. I know it's hard for children to understand though. it's not easy at a young age to have no presents and appreciate the roof over their head or food in their belly ya know? I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. You can always check your local thrift stores, sometimes you'll really hit it big and find a brand new or like new toy, and very affordable! There's one in my town where practically everything in the kids section is $1, no matter the size. Also check churches in your area! It might not be too late to sgin up for drives, and if it is, i'm sure they can turn you to the right people for some help! Family Dollar has cute toys this time of year and many are only $5.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I'm so sorry about this, I wish i could help. Salvation Army may help, but being that Christmas is so close, they may have already distributed toys. Try social services, do you have toys for tots loading in your area? Call your local army/marine recruiting office, they assist with toys for tots, they may be able to help you. Good luck to you, and God bless you!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• have you tried local churches, the salvation army, good will. good luck, so sorry
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Why are you waiting until five days before Christmas to ask for help? It is too late! You should've thought about it a month ago. Seriously. If you have three dollars you can spare go to the Dollar Tree, the one dollar bin at Target or the .88 isle at Walmart and pick up a little something for each kid. I'm sure you can scrounge up three dollars.
    Anonymous