How do I get him to stop whining?

He is 20 months and doesn't talk at all. I know sometimes he's hungry or tired or frustrated but sometimes he whines just to whine. I try ignoring it and he gets mad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teach him to sign. Respond promptly to him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• tell him you cant understand what he wants unless he uses his words....even if u do know what he wants
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Girl you better get use to the whining because it will never stop trust me. My 6 and 4 year old still does it, and it drives me nuts.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Give him attention-positive attention. Sometimes kids whine because they need more love and less negativity. I am not saying you are doing this-please don't think that...I just know when I was working a lot of hours my son whined a lot more-he wanted more love and I was so busy. He is much better since I am not working.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• have him use his words. And when he does not only respond promptly but praise him for using his words.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 4:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Dec. 20, 2009 by: * ambr2006

Girl you better get use to the whining because it will never stop trust me. My 6 and 4 year old still does it, and it drives me nuts.

My kids don't whine. I don't respond to whining, so they've learned not to do it. Your children do it because you allow them to. Not bashing. Just explaining. Put an end to it now or you will never have any peace.
    Anonymous

• of course he gets mad, duh. hes trying to let you know hwat he wants, maybe you should try a little harder to see what he needs.......... why dont you try communicating with him and try understanding him instead of concentrating of his "whining problem" he is having a hard time talking and needs some help obviuosly ......
    alexloves3

Answer by alexloves3 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2009