Should I be ashamed of myself? I am 26 years old and I am starting to like a 21 year old.

We talk every so often and we are not in a relationship but I am starting to like him. I don't think we could ever be together because I don't think he likes me like that plus he is still into partying and probably isn't ready to take on the role of a father or serious boyfriend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• If he's responsible with a job I think it's ok. But if he's still all party at that age I personally wouldn't do it, I'm more for responsibility to my kids.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I don't see a problem with a 26 year old dating a 21 year old. I mean both are adults right? But with the things you mentioned he may not be ready.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I don't get why you would be ashamed? Quite a common age difference when the sexes are reversed.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My SO is 6 yrs younger than me. It's fine if you ask me.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• If he is into partying then he is not mature enough to be a father figure to your kids let alone have a serious relationship.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• its not weird but you might want to put it on hold til hes older. im 24 and recently dated a 21 year old and boy, was that NOT what i was looking for. we liked each other but he was way too immature when it came down to it.
    Anonymous

• I am a married 34 year old and very happy. I was a single mother in my 20's. I dated a lot of frogs before my prince and had years of heart-ache (usually because they couldn't stay out of bars/dance clubs) I know that all seems normal at 21, but not a good example for a child. My son had to witness these stupid men go in and out of my life for 5 years-and it did effect him negatively!! He did bad in school-became insecure-but when I got married 3 years ago-he is now getting great grades-doing awesome in sports-and has become much sweeter. Don't make an unhealthy environment for your child.Nothing is more important then your child. If he is 21 and still partying, you need to RUN HONEY. Find a nice guy-think of your childs well being before your own. You will regret it if you do not. TRUST ME-don't be another dumb victim. You can find hot guys in church-you can find them in the gym-and yes-age does matter! Guys mature late.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• lol I agree with flowermom76, which is why I always dated older guys. my SO is 6yrs older than I. =]
    dracosmommy

Answer by dracosmommy at 5:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Why should you be ashamed? Nothing wrong with being with a younger person... as long as you both are adults. As for being with the guys.. even if he is into you.. if he's not mature enough to meet the needs of you and your kids then prob wouldn't be a good idea to pursue him. But NO you have not reason to be ashamed.. there is nothing wrong with you.. even if he's not mature enough yet to be a good father figure and over the bar scene (and some never are regardless of age) he is still mature enough to be in a serious relationship. It's not like you're interested in a 15 y/o child!
    ConfederateRose

Answer by ConfederateRose at 6:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• oh btw.. lol i'm the first in a line to buck the family tradition and marry someone older than me... by a whole 2 years! haha.. my mom was 27 when she married my step dad.. he was 21.. they have been happily married for 21 years now.. and my grand ma was 6 years older than my grand daddy.. he died after their 38th anniversary... no shame there :)
    ConfederateRose

Answer by ConfederateRose at 6:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2009