do you know what i dont like about Christmas?

I dont like it because most people feel obligated to buy someone a gift because they gave them one, even if you dont have any money. Gift giving shouldnt be out of obligation. If youre broke some people sell their belongings just to buy gifts. People take out loans that they cant afford to pay back and max out their credit cards and 6yrs later are still paying for those gifts. I read somewhere that xmas is the time of the year that suicides are at its highest rate and so is drunk driving. xmas is supposed to be about the birth of Christ but none of these things are Christ like.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I understand what you are saying. The last couple of years have been so tough on people and families it's really heart breaking. I guess for me I'm trying to find ways to help people more. There is a large article in today's paper about how many people are going hungry. I live in Michigan and this depression has really taken its toll on a lot of people. Parents are going without food so they can feed their kids. A kindergarten teacher in an elementary school not far from my house was trying to teach the children the difference between wants and needs and she asked one girl what she wanted and she replied " for my mom to have food"

I don't know what the anwser is I'm just tring to focus more on giving to people in need and less on gifts to ourselves.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I feel you. My mother decided to come into town and stay with me this week without asking. Now she wants to throw a party on Christmas eve for the whole family at MY house- which I have to pay for because she is broke. She already invited them without speaking to me first, so I can't say no. That also means I have to buy gifts for all those family members who are coming not only from me but from HER as well- because she's broke. I HAVE zero dollars myself because we just had to buy a new furnace, but I feel obligated to buy gifts now, so I'll have to use the credit card. Why can't the family just get together without all the gifts and things- just be together and enjoy each other?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I make cookies or candy and give them out-even if it is just on a paper plate or a tin from the dollar store.it is the cheapest way and you know what? It is the sweetest. If anyone gets upset, that you don't give them a gift-they aren't worth your time. Now-I realize society has a lot of ignorance and people are very lost-but instead of judging them, pray for them and go with your heart. Give of your heart, and for those that don't appreicate it, pray for them once more. God wants us to be love and those that aren't loving, need love the most.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Ihart u that is so wrong of your mother, I would make her cancel it she had no business doing that if she wasnt footing the bill. But since we both know it wont get cancelled then make it potluck and tell everyone to bring 1 gift under $10 and then draw numbers and do a mongolian gift exchange, you draw numbers then the first person picks a present then the second person picks a prsent or they can steal from the first person, if they steal then the person stolen from gets to choose again, as the game goes on people can steal of pick a present each presnt can only be stolen twice then it is safe. IT is tons of fun cost very little money for all invovled and just might save your credit card.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Oh, and people need to stop blaiming others for their own feelings of obligation. You do not have to max out a credit card to buy gifts-if family and friends do not understand when money is tight-then they don't need to be around. Sometimes the pressure we put on ourselves comes from within. Every year-our family has a "Potluck Christmas and Thanksgiving" everyone brings a big dish or dessert and no one spends a lot of money! Also-if you drink-alcohol is expensive-you could host a "bring your own wine" or a "gift exchange" just trying to help.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I hear you. I would love to do a gift exchange where everyone brings one ten dollar gift and we do a secret santa type thing. We have some family is very well off and they have expensive tastes. I feel bad buying everyone a 50 dollar gift that they probably won't like and they don't need, and they could get for themselves anyways without a thought. I would rather give to people who have nothing and would appreciate it. But if we don't give to them things that cost at least 50 dollars we will get talked about and they will think we are rude accepting the gifts they give us. Ugh. We put a lot of stuff on our cards this year, so we can give unappreciated gifts to spoiled people.

When DH's cousin registered for her wedding the cheapest thing on the registry was a handtowel and it was 50 dollars!!! We didn't go to that wedding, but we heard that it was the "best wedding ever." I'm sure : )

-bunburry
    Anonymous

• I agree, the commercialism and entitlement has really gotten too high and overwhelming.

I see more theft this time of year too because people want to give their kids the biggest and best and whatever they desire. Its really too bad that the whole point is lost on people(and Im not talking about Christs birth cuz that isnt the only reason for the holiday season).

We shouldnt feel obligated to give or feel entitled and have to receive. We should just be grateful for each other and surviving another year.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I am really sorry this is what Christmas has come to for some of your families. I go to two family parties and in both of them we do not exchange gifts. My grandmother does get everyone a gift and most the people get her gifts but for them most part we put money into the food and enjoy being together.

The other party we do a small gift and exchange at the party.

Anonymous

• "people need to stop blaiming others for their own feelings of obligation. You do not have to max out a credit card to buy gifts-if family and friends do not understand when money is tight-then they don't need to be around. "

agreed. personal responsibility is a big thing to me. Simply say don't have the mulah
    Anonymous

• ok anon :09, i get that, but most people just feel bad and guilty because someone else bought them a gift.
    Anonymous