Do you have bilingual children?

I'm Greek and I'd like my daughter to speak my language too. Do I talk to her in both languages? She's only 2 months... Or will she get confused?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My older two are in a french immersion school and are pretty fluent in both french and english. But they obviously didn't start learning french until about age 5. I have read that kids who grow up hearing two languages may start to speak later, but other than that I don't think there are negatives to it. Kids brains are like sponges and even if it is a little confusing for her, she'll get it figured out pretty quickly. And kids who learn a second language then have an easier time learning a third, fourth, etc.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Yes! Start as soon as possible. Right now your baby is bilingual. As in she can differentiate Greek sounds from English sounds. If you speak to her in Greek often she won't lose that ability making it much easier for her to learn Greek as she grows older. Try speaking to her in Greek at least an hour a day. As she gets older the sessions can become more official, teaching her what words represent which objects, and so on. She won't get confused. It will just be natural to her since she has heard both languages her whole life.
    Good Luck!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• if sign is considered a 2nd language then yes. he has been signing since he was about 11months and will 2 on the 29th of this month. he responds to about 50+ signs and uses around 20. he isn't deaf but I was almost completely deaf as a small child and I remember being very frustrated not being able to communicate. They say boys don't talk until later on and as soon as I found out that I was having a boy I bought a book for baby sign and started learning. It's one of the best things I have done for us. I know exactly what he is asking for as soon as he wants it. and he does speak. He will sign "Drink" and say milk. he will sign "hungry" and say crots (carrot).

Anonymous

• no she will not get confused. my daughter is two and she understands and speaks spanish and english. I speak both languagges to her since she was an infant.
    Girasolez

Answer by Girasolez at 4:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Well, she'll be confused if YOU talk to her in both languages. You should talk to her ONLY in Greek and your hubby should talk to her ONLY in English. That way she will know that she only talk in Greek with you and English with her dad and she'll grow up speaking in both languages. If on person talks to her in both languages, soon she'll pick the easiest one and only talk in that language.

My daughters are bilingual and what I just wrote is what many drs and teachers told me to do when they were babies.

2 months is not too young to talk to her in both languages.

Many bilingual children talk a little later than others, but that doesn't always happen. My daughters are twins and both bilingual; one of them started making full sentences in both languages when she was 3 years old and the other one did the same when she was 18 months- 2 years.
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 4:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My brother's SO's son (lost yet-lol) is bilingual. Her family is from Peru so they all speak spanish. My brothers' S0 speaks to him in english and he is watched during the day by his grandmother who speaks spanish to him. He is 3 and has a great unsderstanding of both. A friend of mine's DH is from ecquador and speaks spanish, so in their home she speaks english and he speaks spanish to their child-again he does very well with both languages. Both of the kids do sometimes speak part of a sentence in one language and the second part in the other, but they know what they are saying.
    Anonymous

• my oldest two spent 6 years in Germany. They are not fluent but they can hold a fairly decent conversation and what they don't know they can get the idea of whats going on.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I spoke to my boys in both English and Spanish. They did fine and were never confused. They started speaking at a normal age.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 13mths, we speak to her in japanese, english and spanish. She does differintiate (spelling sorry) between the 3 even @ that age. Eventually she will be able to speak them all and understand. Your baby is never too young, now is the perfect time!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 5:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I honestly would wait a little while at least til she can speak english too. I started teaching my son russian and german when he was 2 now he knows all 3. Mainly english though
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2009