How old was your first child when you gave birth to your second child? Do you think it was a good age gap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My first child my son was three and a half yo when my second was born, first daughter, and my second child was four and a half yo when the third baby. second daughter, was born.

I was selfish I wanted to enjoy each child as a baby and as a toddler without having multiple babies on our hands. They are very close. Each child now, oldest mid twenties and youngest in hs, they all still worry about each other. Twins run in both my and my husband's family's so if that happened that wasn't a concern, plenty of experienced moms to get advice from.

They've always been very close because of parenting done to bring that about. They're still close now with two in their twenties and one in hs. The older two are their little sister's guardians in event of my and my husband's death of hschooler.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My oldest was 26 mths(exactly LOL) when my second son was born.

I think it was a decent gap, its what my husband and I were shooting for(we wanted them 2-2 1/2 yrs apart).

My oldest was eager to see the baby and play with him and share stuff with him and never once asked if he was gonna go away soon LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My oldest was 15 months when my second child was born. Yes, it is a perfect age gap, they are the best of friends :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• 2.5 years old. I it seems to have worked out so far. They are now 25 and 23. They were great playmates. My youngest is 15. He loves having big brothers who have always looked after him.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My kids are 2 years 6 months 9 days apart and it is, IMO, the PERFECT age difference! Jaydin was old enough to understand the concept of Makenna being a baby and a new addition to our family but yet he wasnt old enough to look back and remember being an only child so there has never been any sort of siblings rivary! I would definitely recommend the 2 1/2 year age difference
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• well i wont say my scenario was common but i have to admit having them close is easier.. get them out of the way while you can.. my oldest was born on October 30th 2006 and my youngest was born October 26th 2007. I do have to say its so much easier because they are close in age, im not having to redo the diapers and potty training when my oldest is 5 and i have another. As I said my case isnt very common but its easier
    Merediths_Mommy

Answer by Merediths_Mommy at 6:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Mine are two years and two weeks and it was HELL! Having a newborn and two year old was very difficult for me.The diapers, the stoller, the car seats, the tantrums. I was exhausted! If I had planned it I would have waited at least two more years..
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 6:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My oldest was 15 months when her little brother was born and it was a good gap for us. They were best friends when they were toddlers and kept each other entertained, especially since, by then, I had a 3rd baby to deal with (my son was 13 months when he became a big brother).
    I had 3 kids under 3 and it was fun. They are 9, 8 and 7 now and still good friends, although they fight more now then they ever did as toddlers. They are all very close and are lost without each other around.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• my first son is currently 21 months and will be 2 on march 24. i am currently 26 weeks pregnant with twin boys due march 28.....it wasent really planned but I love all my boys and will make it work.
    krazylilthang6

Answer by krazylilthang6 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I guess I have the biggest gap between kids~ 11 years! Not by our choice, mind you. We decided to try for our 2nd baby when our daughter was about 3 or 4, and had alot of trouble. I gave up after that, and then DH talked me into trying again a few years later, and we found that because I took my self off bc, I threw myself into a hormone imbalance. After a year of getting my cycle straight, I finally got pregnant with our son! It was kind of nice having that much time between the kids, because I was able to give them each the attention they needed.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2009