How can my 11 year old lose weight without dieting?

My 11 year old daughter has this great plan of being a professional wrestler when she get a little older,which of course I'm all for it except she has a little bit of a weight problem.She thinks she won't be a respected wrestler if she is fat,which she isn't but that's what she is word about.And I only want her to be happy about herself.I know she is still gonna have baby fat but what she has is definitely not baby fat.Can someone please help.I don't want recipes I just want to know some daily exercises she can do to drop the lbs.THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!

CCCurstynn

Asked by CCCurstynn at 4:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• you have to change eating habits as well as exercise, to have a proper weight you cannot have one without the other and expect a change. at 11 I would be talking to the doctor. I have a sister and a niece who both were over weight at 11 and as they grew it came off, I think teaching good eating habits and exercise at this age is great , calling it a "diet" to lose weight is bad and sets a bad precedence for the rest of their lives if they believe at 11 that they need to diet.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Diets are not for losing weight and maintaining weight. Exercise and proper nutrition are. Talk to a pediatrician about a meal plan for her.
    Anonymous

• She has to build up muscle mass to do what she wants so I'd buy her a set of 2 lb weights and tell her to begin with strength training. She can google some good exercises for it. They are simple and building up muscle mass burns calories so will burn up fat. Tell her to be patient. She still has to finish growing so the baby fat she has now will go away. I'd also watch her diet. Get rid of sodas and sugar. Prepare more meals higher in protein. She will be fine. I'm going through this with my 11 yr old grandson and a friend's 11 yr old daughter. I have promised them that the baby fat will go away but once they hit puberty they have to watch what they do so it won't come back as "real" fat. They all need to get more exercise, too. These video games are helping keep our children unhealthy by not allowing them to get exercise. My dd bought a Wii Fit and Wii sports. That has helped keep grandson active.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Look I know that she still has baby fat and everything.She is very active and she has a wii fit too.But it's mostly her eating habits.She is so eager for next year to join her school's volley-ball team and start following her dreams but she's so worried about her weight that it's getting in the way of her following her dreams.She is ALWAYS eating apples and drinking watter and jumping around and stuff.The doctor is not needed for this.And we can't get rid of the junk food in the house because eventually it will start piling back up again because we have some pig like people in the house haha!I just need so simple 30 min. daily workout ideas.But right now she is fixing to go run.
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 5:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Exercise won't do it if she won't eat right.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I would start with simple changes for the entire family.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, as a family, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Does she eat a healthy, balanced diet? Leave out the junk and treats for the most part. Does she enjoy running, jumping on a trampoline, Wii fit, anything like that?
    Anonymous

• She shouldn't be dieting or losing weight at her age without being under doctor's care for it. She needs to learn to have a positive body image and be happy with however she looks. I would be more worried about why an 11 yr thinks she needs to diet and why a parent would allow it. Talk to her doctor about what is an appropriate weight for her and to help her set up a nutritious eating plan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• she does need to be a on "diet" but she does need to eat healthy. she needs. whole grain pastas & breads, fruits & veggies, & lots of protein. lots of water. that is not dieting, thats eating healthy. she should also join sports, or just do squats, run in place, crunches, sit ups. get her some weights for her arms, they sell them at places like target. buy her some work out videos. yoga is great.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• doesnt*
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2009