Why does my atheist step children expect Christmas gifts?

I have a hard time understanding this. I honestly don't think they should expect Christmas gifts from us. Can anyone explain this to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You should do the Christian thing and have everybody, you, your husband and your kids, all volunteer at a soup kitchen. Give your money to the poor. Gifts are not Christian. I'm sorry those Atheists think Christmas is about presents! You will teach them.
    Anonymous

• Because Christmas is a secular holiday celebrated by more than Christians, and using that as a reason not to get them anything just makes you the stereotypical evil stepmother they grow up to write books about.
    Anonymous

• They are opportunists. They see the Christmas season only through the commerical eyes and expect you to cough up the bounty. I wouldn't give them anything if you believe in Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• So, the whole meaning behind Christmas is giving stuff to people? I think you would make baby Jesus cry with that statement.

Just because the child believes differently than you, you believe it is right to treat him as an outcast as opposed to letting him in on what should be family time? That's really sad.
    Anonymous

• These two step children are 22 and 29, they are NOT children. I think it is wrong that they expect gifts when they are not Celebrating Christ being born. This is a CHRISTIAN holiday, not an atheist give me presentt holiday/
    Anonymous

• Actually it's a pagan holiday but what ever....
    Anonymous

• Oh, you left out their ages. They really are opportunist then. They just want the stuff. Are they giving you gifts or just bashing Christians for having this holiday?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Maybe they expect Yule gifts and are too polite to explain it to you.
    Anonymous

• I thought Christmas was a tradition when families get together for presents and dinner. All of the Christians I know agree on that and none of us would exclude people of other beliefs and reliogiions or atheists from the tradition. If you are excluding because you areChristian and they aren't then you can't call your self a good person. It is very nasty and mean of you. ANd you say you AREa Christian? LOL. Oh my.....
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I think your children are being athiest because they are being raised this way and it shows that they do not want to be raised this way, they are showing that they want to believe the Christian celebrations. My question to you is were you raised athiest or their mom and if so did your parents or her parents celebrate Christmas? And if they did could you have imagined as a child not celebrating Christmas, how would you have felt???
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2009