How do I get rid of the nic?

My son is 15months old on jan 4 and he has ten teeth and won't give up the pacifire what do i do?

ashnbra1

Asked by ashnbra1 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him keep it. It's not his fault he wasn't breastfed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Very rude and useless answer Gailll.

OP, you can either take it away completely (cold turkey) or try taking it away gradually. Make a rule that it's only for nap and bed time, or only when laying down (even if on the couch). It never leaves the house. etc.

I personally took my son's away around 15 months cold turkey. He only took it at bedtime and it only took him a week to get over it.
    Anonymous

• Give him a special "big boy" comfort object for Christmas. Let him know that his pacys are going to other babies that need them and he gets a special surprise for being such a big boy. (Not sure how much of that a 15 month old can really understand though.) You can try to replace it with a blanket or stuffed animal. My son was crazy about his bedtime sippy until I was finally fed up. I took it away and he's been using his elmo for comfort every since. You just have to stand your ground. Once you say it's gone it has to be gone for good no matter what. I know it sounds mean. But he will eventually forget about it. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Gailll, sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I don't. This is one that I don't. My son was exclusively breastfed for 15 months and had a pacifier the whole time. He is almost 18 months now, and I have no intention of taking it away. He needed to suck all the time (awake or asleep) for the first few months of his life. Now he uses it out of habit. It won't hurt their teeth. It will be hard to get rid of it now or later, so let the baby be a baby for a little longer. Just my opinion. :)
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Um I went cold turkey w/both of my sons. They weren't too happy for a couple of days but they adjusted.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Typical Gailll passing judgement instead of helpful advice. She would still be breast feeding her adult sons if they would let her and probably got mad when she couldn't breast feed ehr grandchild. At least you are on here and not making your DIL's life miserable for a few minutes.

I would slowly wean your baby to just at naps and bedtime then you just have to take it away.
    Anonymous