How should we handle this?

My husband and I have my sister as a roommate and she stole $5 from us this morning. She took it out of our bowl we keep our laundry money in and went and got on the bus before my husband and I got up. Now I am left to figure out how am washing my son's clothes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well 9-10 yr old know not to steal, what ownership is, make her pay you back in some way, like chores, maybe she could wash the clothes in the tub, i doubt they really get clean but it is more of the message. and talk about her asking for money when she needs it and the potential to make money with chores, if i had a 9 yr old dd,(yes i know your sister is 20) that is what i would do anyways.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Take something of hers and pawn it.
    sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• lol sunshine! You took the words out of my mouth!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• There is more to this question then the question itself. Sweetie, I am sorry things are tough for you now. I read the question and is it possible that money is tough for you and your family right now? Talk to your sis about this, don't let it go untalked about. This will just create more stress on you and your husband. It'll get better, :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Most of the time we do just fine. Just with Christmas that was our last $5. It makes me angry that she decided to just help herself to it. OP
    Anonymous

• OP Why is your sister living with you anyway? How old is she? Does she work?
    Thats makes a big difference on how you should address it.

Anonymous

• My sister is 20 but she has a mental disablity so she is really more like 9-10. We live together because she needed to move out of our Mom's house and so she came here. She does not work but has SSI with our Mom as her payee.
    Anonymous

• She knew perfectly well the money was not hers. How would you like it if I took money from you and said it was for everyone? And washing clothes in the sink is nasty. They never get clean.
    Anonymous

• If she has the mentality of a 9-10 year old as you said, then maybe she doesn't quite understand the implications of her taking the money. Maybe she doesn't understand that by her taking that for what she probably felt was a really good reason, now you won't be able to wash laundry. When she comes home, sit her down and talk to her about it. Tell her it is unacceptable for her to take things without asking you first. Does she have a job? if so then she needs to pay it back to you asap. And as far as the washing, is there someone you could maybe borrow their washer? Maybe your mom or some family live close by?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2009