Is there a way to actually "Register a pedigree" of a "Shitz-a-poo"?

A friend of mine's husband bought her a "shitzapoo". Personally, I think it's just a mutt... but she insists that the thing came "registered" with "papers". Does the AKC, or even the CKC recognize this as a breed? What are the breed standards? I personally just feel they blewFIVE HUNDRED FREAKN BUCKS on a mixed breed dog, with a "cute name".
Yeah, he's adorable... he's a little fluff ball, and cute as hell... but I can't imagine that there's any sort of reputable place to "register" this dog. I've never seen one in a sanctioned dog show... they're just mutts. And usually come from puppy mills. (this pet shop insists that their puppies are all family raised, blah, blah, blah... but I'm not convinced.) plus, the thing is infested with fleas, which the pet shop says is not their fault. There were no pets in the home prior to this dog entering... her kids didn't have fleas... so where'd they come from in Dec. in WI?)

judybant

Asked by judybant at 6:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Pets

• It is a glorified mutt. The "designer dog" breeders have made up their own registery. It is not the AKC, UKC, or CKC (and the CKC dogs still can't be in a legitimate dog show). It is just a way that they can say the dog is "registered" and get more money for it. She got a mutt that came from a pet store, which got them from a puppy mill. Tell her to look up puppy mills on line and see where her dog came from. As far as the petstore saying the puppies are home raised-ask for the breeder's information-if it is anywhere in PA or the midwest-it is a puppy mill. Sorry so long but I am in rescue and see this all too much and it breaks my heart to see how these dogs are treated and all we have to do to stop it-is stop buying from petstores!!!!
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• This came from wikipedia about your friend's dog called a Shih poo:

"There are several hybrid specific registries that register hybrid / designer cross puppies. These registries offer hybrid dogs the same registration benefits that purebred dogs enjoy such as certified registration and recording of the hybrids known pedigree information."

Paying $500 isn't out of line for the kind of dog it is. Hybrids like labradoodles can cost thousands. We had a labradore, she was from a rescue organization. I think you should tell your friend you are sorry and offer the cute doggie a treat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Oops, our dog was a goladore.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• It is a Mutt so no it can not be Registered with AKC or CKC. They may have set something up for these mutts but i have not heard of one yet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Amen Carajust.Everything you said is true,true,true.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• There is actually. There are two CKC's circulating. One is the Canadian Kennel Club. It registers only purebreds. Then, there is the Continental Kennel Club. It registers anything that has four legs, fur and barks. So it is feasible that she could have had the dog registered with them. It is NOT a registry that she can show by, or whatever.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2009