My Daughter's Hopes And Dreams Might Be Fading Away...

Of course everyone has a dream or a wish that didn't come true,right?Well my11 year old daughter has this big dream of becoming a professional wrestler when she's in her teens.And next year she will be in the Jr.High and she REALLY wants to join the volley-ball team but someone in her class told her that the judges that choose if you should be on the team or not choose favorites which is NOT fair.And all of these things are starting to fad away because of her weight.She is very healthy but it's her eating habits that need help.And it's hard to help 11 year olds understand that they need to eat more healthy foods when they are already stuck on junk food.Does anyone know of any exercises she can do that will help her lose weight even though she eats like she does.PLEASE AND THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

CCCurstynn

Asked by CCCurstynn at 6:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Try gently suggesting that she jog every day. It will help her burn the stuff off. But also help her make substitions for the kids of things she normally eats.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Don't buy junk food. Make healthy food and keep healthy snacks. It's not hard.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• anywhere that she CAN walk, she should be. like to school (as long as it is under 2 mi). is there a local YMCA with an indoor pool? if there IS, join and have her attend the evening or early morning water fitness classes. it provides almost NO impact on her joints, but burns about 4 times as many calories as exercise on land, and will help her build lean toned muscle, which will help her train for other sports activities. i would suggest that as #1 way to get the weight off in a HEALTHY way... she may not be keen on exercising with a bunch of old ladies, but 3-4 days a week, she should see results in just a few short weeks.
    also, make sure that she is drinking WATER, nothing else. at her age, she does not need milk AT ALL.
    if you do not buy junk, she can not eat it. KWIM? i know you'll have to listen to her gripe, but in the long run it is a health investment- even if it is a pain now.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• It was hard to cut out junk food for us too! But I had to do it not just for them but me too! I started drinking diet soda and bottled water(I hate water so I get the Wylie or crystal light flavor pks to put in it, 5 calories ea.!!!). With that being done and cutting out the junk food and walking at least an hour daily I have lost over 30lbs in 3 months! You can't just change her eating habits, you have to do it as a family or else it won't work!!! My oldest daughter that is 9 went from a 12-14 to a 10-12. Cut down the salty food as well, because the sodium causes us to retain water. I wish you guys all the success in fighting this weight battle, but it can be done!!! I also suggest fiber1 bars because they help you feel full. Keep some veggies and lite dip handy for snacking. Make this change as enjoyable as possible instead of a gruelling punishment! And baked chips if you can't resist.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• First, stop buying junk foods. Explain to your daughter that healthy foods will help her be a better athelete. You may want to adjust your cooking to incorporate more vegetables, whole grains and legumes; cutting back on (or eliminating) meat, dairy, simple grains and processed sugars.
    Send me a message offlist if you need some recipe ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2009