What kind of Milk should a 3 year old be drinking?

Just wanting some feedback on what kind of milk your children are drinking. my kids drink skim as there doctor recommends children be switched to skim milk by the age of 2. because of high obesity rates and high fat intakes. My childrens grandma totally disagrees and says they should still have whole or 2%. i think as long as they are getting adqueate fat intake from other foods it doesn't need to come from milk also. just wanting to know your opinion!

lovinMYtwins07

Asked by lovinMYtwins07 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I was told they should be on whole milk until age 5 or 6. I personally love whole milk, so that's what we drink.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• None. Kids don't need to drink cow's milk at all. They can drink water.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My kids had soy milk until recently because my oldest had a sensitivity to milk proteins that he FINALLY outgrew. Now I have them both on 1%.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My daughter drank breastmilk until she weaned at 23 months. Then she drank water. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I try to do low fat or skim milk. If you see how much fat is in whole milk you'd change your mind!!! I also do the soy milk. I'm fighting the obesity gene too! They all drink the skim milk with no protest! What I find works the best is having the fridge super cold so that the milk is super cold and more pleasent to drink!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Almond :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My son is a year and drinks whole milk. I would agree with you though. If the child is getting enough of a fat intake from other foods (which they should be at age three), then the milk wouldn't be the main source of fat intake. If your doctor isn't worried, then there isn't any reason to be. I think.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with whole milk if your child is eating healthy and getting exercise. I have a hard time believing that the extra calories in whole milk is what makes kids fat. DD just turned 3 and is still drinking whole milk. I personally like the taste, I don't mind the extra calories for myself because I am pregnant and I like to cook with it. So, I will keep it in the house and have no problems with DD drinking it.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 9:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• We use whole milk because my kids are skinny, lol. I have to limit them though because they are like their daddy and would drink a gallon in a day if I let them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• the nutritionist at the WIC office told me that my 2 year old should be on 2% or less. I personally disagree for MY DD because she is also considered underweight. So whole milk is a good place for her to get good fats to help wit healthy weight gain. It's funny how they can tell me one thing and then recommend something completely contrary.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2009