colostrum???

I have to go back to work tomorrow...still no milk...if i pump my colostrum and give the babys father gives it to him...how much is enough and how much is to much???not getting very much when i pump so i am just wondering really how much is enough?

excitedmomma2be

Asked by excitedmomma2be at 6:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• first off how old is the baby? i would say if the baby is 0-4 months about 3 to 4 ounces every 2-3 hours. if 4-8 months you are looking at about 4-6 ounces every 3-4 hours.
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 6:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I assume that you're less then a week post partum if you only have colostrum. Going back to work at this point is going to damage your supply badly. It's possible that your milk won't fully come in if you're not nursing and only pumping. Colostrum is measured in teaspoons. Baby only needs a little bit. If newborn, I'd try to provide half an ounce for every hour, of colostrum. It's really hard to say though, because your baby is so new. I think you should try to stay home if possible. For your baby, and yourself. Heal. If you absolutely can't, make sure that you nurse that newborn for every single feeding when you are together to help supply. Nurse as often as possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i had baby friday...i cant aford to be out of work anymore...right now im nursing then after he stops nursing i pump what ever is left and freeze it...i was just curious how much colostrum dad should give him till my milk comes in...
    excitedmomma2be

Answer by excitedmomma2be at 7:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I was back to work part time in a week. 1-2 oz was enough for 3 -4 hours. Continue to pump every chsnce you get and as soon as you come home nurse and nurse at night to. beware of bottles! go for a spoon, eyedropper or cup (baby will lap like a cat) until 6 weeks then use a breast friendly bottle. we use adiri but breastflow would work. no pacifiers. let baby finger suck if absolutely necessary while you are gone
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I understand that you need to work. Is there any way of holding off even just a few more days, until the mature milk comes in? This will really help if its possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• hun pumping colostrum is very hard. how come you diont get 6 wks off? is required by law the fatc that your going back to work so soon is ver bad for your supply and it might if not it will probbaly ruin your breastfeeding. how much colostrum are you greeting also are you going to be able to pump very 2 hrs at work for 15 mts? i wish all the luck but its going to be very hard to bf with your situation
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Some people do not have the luxury to take unpaid leave. It can be done if done right. I did it successfully.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2009