Researcher to Dutch Government: Allow Euthanasia for Newborns Based on Foreseeable Suffering

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/dec/09120811.html

By Patrick B. Craine

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands, December 7, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A Dutch health researcher has called on the nation's government to allow physicians to euthanize newborns based on foreseen suffering, rather than only actual suffering, reports the Dutch medical journal Zorgkrant.

Hilde Buiting, maintains that such an amendment would only conform the law to the current practice among physicians.

"The current guidelines state that there must be actual grave suffering on the part of the newborn," she said, as quoted in Zorgkrant. "In practice, physicians look not only to the actual suffering of the sick newborn, but also to the grave suffering foreseen in the future. This reality should be included in the considerations in adapting the guidelines."

Trust_HIM_Ps57

Asked by Trust_HIM_Ps57 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• First step = legalized murder (abortion) ...then moms shooting themselves in the tummy to kill their unborn child, partial-birth abortions, and a mom who allows her newborn infant to suffocate and she is let off because of a stipulation/technicality i nthe law that declares the baby has NO RIGHTS because it was till attached by the umbilical cord??  We are living with a world-wide epidemic of a DEATH CULTURE!  Where will it stop!?

Trust_HIM_Ps57

Answer by Trust_HIM_Ps57 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Wow, I need to order my crystal ball so I can "foresee" any suffering thats going to happen! This should never be made into legislation ANYWHERE! What is SCARY, is the fact the lefties keep telling us how we can learn so much from these messed up people! How we need to adopt their health care and their laws. Disgusting!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• *VOMIT* Those who hold up Europe as more civilized because they have UHC should think about this barbaric practice. Not much difference from leaving an unwanted newborn in the snow to freeze to death.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 7:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• It hasn't been made law, is it being seriously looked at??? I can't imagine that passing ANYWHERE
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I am not shocked they are a liberal country.
    Anonymous

• They're talking about preventing misery in infants born with terrible defects that will cause painful death.
    Anonymous

• I do not believe in Euthanisia for anyone...babies or any age group, people. I doubt that it will be approved by anyone, anywhere. I believe that you should not decide for anyone when they are going to die...no way. But then again, I am Pro-choice, So it is a difficlut thing. But, no euthanasia. Premature babies do have many complicated health issues if they survive but they are alive and that is what is improtant.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• We don't allow euthanasia for our elderly, who know that they are suffering, nor do we allow assisted suicide for them. How in the world could we allow this for newborns, how could ANYONE??? And this is the model of health care that is so much better than what we have now??? Do you think that any of the elite would allow this for THEIR newborns? I seriously doubt it, they would get the absolute best doctors and care. It just shows how little value is placed on human life with these people.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Who is going to determine the "forseen suffering", do the parents have any say in it or just the Dr.'s? This thing is scary....some dr.s might just decide that a child with downs symdrome will experience suffering and there are many, many other things that a dr. could decide would cause forseen suffering. It could easily become a tool to destroy all but the very healthiest of babies.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Give a doc a crystal ball. Trisomy 21 is Downs Syndrome yet there is great potential with these folks. Not like in the old days when they were automatically instiutionalized and not taught anything. Life span has greatly increased because of the heart surgery in infants and children available today. Life span went from 9 years old in the early 1900's to over 50 years old today. Trisomy 18 which is Edwards syndrome has a more harsh diagnosis in that children have severe heart defects, the surgery isn't available and most die before a year. Give me a crystal ball, my son's physical thereapist knew a girl with Trisomy 18 that was 3 years old. Under these guidelines she would of been euthanized. I don't buy it, and the young the disabled are the last frontier and we need to protect them all.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2009