does anyone have a good or bad coaching story?

My son had played basketball for his entire middle and high school years. However, it was not all fun for him. It was a great experience up until his junior year. He made the team as well as 5 of his friends that had played with him from 6th grade on. We had no doubt that he would make it. The problem was his coach. Now my son was not going to go into the NBA but he could play a good game. However, this coach did not play him. I take that back he played for maybe a total of 30 seconds the entire season. When he asked if he talked to his coach he would simply reply. If I did I will definetly not get in. this was confirmed be the other players. The coach specifically told them that they were not to ask why they did not play. Our son felt terrible about himself. This coach made him feel like he was less of a person. There were 5 boys he did this to. Their body language was low. Has one out there had similar situations?

3plus2fh

Asked by 3plus2fh at 7:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• For the most part, my son has had amazing coaches for baseball but the last one we had was a moron. There were 2 practices all season, he didn't call when games or practices were cancelled and he yelled at the kids when they didn't play the way he thought they should. Another parent, finally,stepped up and told the coach that if he wants them to play as a team he should have practice more than he is. Our boys were all talented but didn't know how to play as a team. I will definately request that my son NOT be on this team again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• That is how my the high school baseball coach is.  He explained all of that at the parent meeting before the season started.  The way I understood it was, they play to win and he will only use the kids that can bring the championship.  He also said if they questioned his "job" then they would be removed immediately.  I understand it, but I don't agree with it. 

dawnjohnson5

Answer by dawnjohnson5 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2009