My kid is biting himself

My son is 16 months old. Is it normal for him to bite himself? All of a sudden tonight thats what he started doing. And its not just like little bites. He's got red bite marks all on his hand... I was just wondering if anyone else had that problem or if its normal... Thanks everyone

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its a control thing, when he feels out of control or like he has no control over the situation he bites himself to help him calm down, it pulls him out of the emotional & puts his frustration into the physical. Give him as many choices as possible, ie do you wanna wear the blue shirt or the red one. Explain to him where your going & what your doing. Teach him sign language so he can better communicate what he needs.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My son hits himself, but it's when he gets mad. If he doesn't get his way he will smack himself over and over. No idea what it accomplishes but that's what he does. Nyx has a good point though. I would try that
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I think it's actually fairly normal. My daughter does it when made. I think we tought her pretty well not to hit others so she takes it out on herself (or maybe becuase others at day care may bite her when they are mad?). If it's not just when mad, then it could be from teething. I had a child at the day care I worked out bite himself and we were pretty sure it was because his molars were coming in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2009