What do working parents do with their kids before and after school?

Do you and DH/SO juggle and organize your schedules so that someone is always home with the kids? Do they go to a day/in-home care? Does a relative or friend watch them? Do you have a job that is only during their school hours? I'm curious. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I was a single mom my kids were in a before school care program that was run by the county. It was at their school so I just dropped them off early and paid $55/month per child. After school I paid for someone to keep them in my home. Once I married, my dh and I juggled our schedules until I was able to quit my job.

Answer by missanc at 9:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I used to do before and after care for kids but i had to quit because parents actually forgot their kids were at my house. I let it go once, then it happened again so I had to let them go.. I felt so bad for the kids, they would look at me like they were crushed.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i work while my son is in school...sometimes he has to stay in aftercare if i work late but usually its only for about 2 hours. I'm usually out of work by 2. 4 at the latest....i come home and we do whatever chores, dinner, bath, play, and then bed...and do it all over again.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My son was staying at an after school program for $5 a day. That was until Friday when they kicked him out. I have no idea what I am going to do now. There is another program that offers after school care and they come to pick up your child but it is $25 a day! I am hoping to change my hours at work so that I can pick up my son from school. I will be discussing this with my boss tomorrow.

Anonymous

• I heard Boys and Girls club does that kind of thing for like $30 a month! You may wanna look into that if it's in your area and you need a place.
    Anonymous

• i drop my dd off at school then go straight to work. My mom picks her up and keeps her for 1 !/2 hrs after school or I get a babysitter. My parents have an office so she usually hangs out there and gets her home work done after school. She is 7.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son took the school bus to my parents after school and now he walks from middle school to my parents house. Not sure what I am going to do when he is in high school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Before school my husband and I both play with our son. I have a very strict parent rule that our mornings are not to be rushed and feel like we are in a race to get to work and school. Wake up slowly (but earlier than most families I suspect), eat, get dressed, and then play. My husband and I tag team and work together to make sure his morning goes well. So while one parent gets ready themselves the other parent is getting him geared to starting his day. It works well for all three of us. He attends a school that offers and extended day program for working parents. My work schedule varies so in the middle of the work week I often may have one or two days off. On those days I either have him the entire day or send him to school for two/three hours so I can clean. Then I pick him up early and we go do a fun Mommy/Son activity. On days my husband is off he does the same thing. Weekends are family date days.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Well, by the time my mom went back to work, I was in high school. She worked close to my school, so we commuted together in the mornings. We'd stop for bagels and took the commuter train. After school, I'd go to the library, then waited for her to get off of work, so we could commute home together. The weekends is when all of us (my bro, sis, mom and I) got to spend family time together. We never felt neglected. We were very close to our mom.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• my son goes to before and after school care. He loves afterschool, I am rethinking the before school care and may try to have a relative have him b/f school

My mom did the same thing, in fact back when I was a kid the Public schools did not have before/after school care so she put us in private schools that did.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2009