Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you heard of a respite center for child care?

Somebody told me you can drop your kids off me 24 hours to 30 days with no government involvement. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • In some cases you have to have a meeting with one of their family case workers. Here is a company that offers Respite child care. It may answer some of your questions.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

  • yes, they offer it to militray families.

    Answer by piwife at 10:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

  • I can see it happening, but only for extreme cases, and that would involve a case worker. Otherwise I would think they'd consider it abandonment. I can't see dropping your kid off with strangers for 30 days.

    Personally, I couldn't get respite care help even when I was trying to take care of my daughter and my badly injured husband, plus the house and all our finances, plus my own health. I was even diagnosed with "care taker burn-out" by a mental health professional, and still was unable to get help. I basically just had to suck it up during the day and sit and cry alone in the shower at night.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

  • If you have a child with a disability you have respite care. Normal kids, unless you have a disability, I don't know.

    Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

  • But even with disabled kids you have to find your own provider which made it uselss to me when I needed it

    Answer by teamquinn at 10:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

  • i qualified for respite care why cuz dd has asthma and eczema. i havent apply cuz am sahm but, and siince is thru themaribnes i dont have to need a case worker. i might once i get back to work. i have a provider on basemaybe one day ill uses it but for now i like to leave the space open for people who truely need the help

    Answer by piwife at 1:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

  • Please see the website of the Respite Center, in Madison, Wisconsin. You may call 608-244-5700 for more information.

    Answer by RespiteCenter at 12:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.