Is 25 degrees too cold to take a toddler on a walk?

Is 25 degrees to cold to take a 1.5 year old on a walk? My tot and I are getting cabin fever from being indoors all the time. I have no car at the moment.

I think she'd enjoy the fresh air, but I don't want some old hag calling the cops on me for having my child out in the cold!

And advice?

We live in the northeast. Moms who live in cold climates: this question is for you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's fine as long as you have her bundled up good (coats, hats, gloves, sweats, scarves, etc- basically, think "A Christmas Story") and you don't keep her out for very long. Half an hour at the most should be good. When she comes in, make sure to take off her boots and get clean, dry socks on her right away and make sure she has a nice warm drink, and she should be just fine.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• im in az & i personally wouldnt BUT im not used to living simewhere cold i suppose if it was just for like 15 min oe so i would just REALLY bundle up....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I'm with kittyhasclaws. We live in northeast OH, where there's no way to avoid the cold, and we can only stand to sit inside for so long. We play outside in the snow with the kids, as long as they stay bundled up and we don't stay out too long.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I agree with the others saying it is fine for short periods of time. Hats, gloves, scarf, warm socks are a must. If she will be sitting in a stroller, I would even add a blanket. It has been that cold here too for a while. The only time we haven't been out to play is when it is in the teens.
    Bundle up and go have FUN!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Bundle up and keep it short. But yes, fresh air is wonderful, even if it's COLD air. (and this is coming from a mama who HATES the cold). At least twenty minutes a day outside when possible is recommended, actually. (Of course, if it's 10 below, that doesn't apply!)
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 10:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• As long as you are bundled up. I walk my kids to school and when my youngest was 2 she came with us twice a day no matter what the weather was like (rain, snow, freezing temperatures). Until she was almost 3 and then I started leaving her in the morning with my dad who stays locked up in his room. She is 3 1/2 now and just watches TV while I'm gone. It's a 10 minute walk to school and 10 minutes back. She was known to have to brave sub-zero temperatures many days and never complained. She seemed to enjoy it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Take my kids out in the cold all the time. My two year old loves to play in the snow. After the below zero temps we had a week ago 25 feels pretty warm. We bundle up and get out I would go nuts if we stayed inside all day. My older kids (ages 7 and 9) were out for most of the day in 22 degree weather playing. They built a snowman and a snow fort. They came in for hot tea breaks and to warm up but they had a blast in the snow. I would think getting out of the house and the stale air would be good for them.
    Anonymous

• I think it's fine for 15-20 minutes as long as your child is bundled up well. We get a ton of snow and cold too. My biggest fear is when it's snowy and icy for those little toddlers. Then, I don't take him out. I don't want him falling. He doesn't want to go out anyway when it's cold! Have fun!
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 11:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2009