crib to bed transition, climbing not only sign of readiness?

I was told that climbing out of the crib isnt the only sign a child is ready to transition to a bed....that's the only sign i'm aware of lol. Can you explain what some other signs are? My son is 20 m/o and on occasion lifts his leg if he wants to climb out, but he's still too short to succesfully climb over. He does bounce and run back and forth in the crib....but this is about it....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say move him to a bed, he's definatly old enough and if he's trying to climb out get him moved before he does climb out and fall and hurt himself. My daughter has been using a toddler bed for months now and she is 20 months old. She loves her bed, but hated her crib. A lot of times they feel too crowded in the crib when they are at this age. So yes move him to a bed.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 10:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i'll tell ya, I did test the transition out one time and I know I wa supposed to be consistant...but I was and he just wouldnt lay down. Once I laid him back in the crib, he fell right asleep! So unlike yours, my son LOVES the crib, but doesnt seem too fond of the bed lol. Well then again it was a one-time attempt. I'll try again! thanks :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• For us, climbing out was the "sign"... I don't know if he's "ready" he's 17 months and we just changed it over today because he wouldn't stay in his crib anyway... this way he is at least safer when he gets out of bed.
    I think it's more... are YOU ready? Are you ready for your son to be able to get out of bed whenever he wants?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• ugh.. I understand this.. I can't get my son to even sleep with me or anywhere BUT his crib.. then we saw him lift his leg and my husband was too scared of him falling so we have that crib that turns in to a toddler bed and have had no problems, with the exception now of him running out of room with his animals and blankets he HAS to have arg!! I just bought him a twin bed we pick it up on wednesday and I feel it could be a nightmare.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Climbing out is really the main sign for moving to a bed. The other would be reaching the maximum height for your crib (around 36 inches I believe) or turning 3. We moved our son at 22 months when he climbed out and it wasn't easy. He really wasn't ready and didn't quite understand the concept. I wouldn't rush it just keep an eye on how close he is to being tall enough to successfully get his leg to the top fo the crib rail. Also, limit what's in his crib to allow him to stand on to get extra height!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2009