Older cat

I use to love my cat then I moved and he stayed with my mom. I went a good 3 to 4 years without having any animals. I moved back into my mom's house, so I live with him again. I can not stand him. He drives me crazy. He has recently started pooping on the floor every so often and he has been violent with my daughter. My mom thinks he might be senial(sp?) and thinks I should think about having him put down. She has suggested this before. I kind of want to, but then I feel like a disgusting person for even thinking about it. By the way he is 17 1/2 years old.
What would you do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Talk to your vet, I'm one that doesn't agree with putting pets down unless absolutely necessary. If the cat truly is senial and getting older it may be for the best but I'd talk to your vet first Cats are very finicky animals and she may just be reacting towards you leaving her and being gone for so long.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 11:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I agree with bubblycute and I'm one who did put down, holding them during the process, three loved pets. Since your kitty didn't do this til you returned then its that you're disrupting his home. Sounds like u and cat together were before your daughter was born. Talk to a vet too he could have infection needing medicine.

Humans get old animals get old too. Don't let your dd be alone with kitty. Cats more than dogs want to rest by themselves. Make sure he has space for himself with a gate across the door way to keep him from dd. You went into his home. Ask your vet or a big vet ciinic If you absolutely can't take his behavior please look first for a no kill shelter and visit it without advance notice first. If that doesn't work out and no one else can take him then consider euthanasia. If you can't be with him to have it done then under these circumstances you shouldn't put him down for mibehavior.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• He might be angry for being abandoned..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2009