Do children deserve respect?

HELL NO!! Respect is earned and children are too young to earn it! But adults always do!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't agree. Everyone deserves basic human dignity and respect. Respect should be unconditional, with no limits and does not have to be earned. It is a basic human right.
    Case in point - It is not right to call kids names, belittle them... This is basic respect. ALSO - child pornography - it is respect and dignity that are violated when things like this are taken advantage of. Everyone deserves respect.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I agree with the previous post. Everyone deserves some common courtesy...now, do kids deserve any level of AUTHORITY? No. They are too young to handle that and it is our job as adults to direct them and tell them right from wrong and yes, they should respect us for doing so...they give us basic respect along with the respect we earn as parents for caring for them and working to keep them fed etc...but as for what PP just said...kids deserve some level of respect just for being human.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• ALL humans deserve respect. Like is saying a gay person is less of a human!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• she probably thinks that's true.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I think that one teaches children to show respect to others by example. If I want my children to say please and thank you, I must say please and thank you to them. That does not mean that they are MORE deserving of respect than others. They are children and their status is not that of an adult.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• well, MY kid's never referred to another human being as a "lower life form" so there goes your imagined superiority.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Of course they do! You have to respect your child to deserve any back. Why do you deserve respect just because you are the parent.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 12:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Let me revise to say that I do not believe ANY human is a 'lower life form'. We are all made in the image of God, fearfully and wonderfully made.
    ALSO - Respect should be unconditional... not based on 'earning' it. Every person deserves dignity and respect.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Uh yes, of course they do!
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 12:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Let me give you an example of respect.

Last year I went with a group of 150 8th grade kids to DC on a field trip. We were getting off the charter bus and there were a group of WW11 vets at the enterance, these kids seen these vets and lined up in single file to thank them and was never told to do this, these kids done this on their own. These grown men CRIED at what our kids done and could not believe that 14-15 year old boys and girls would do this. These men asked to have pictures with these kids. This was one of the most moving moments I have had in my life. There were hundreds of adults that walked past this and did NOT stop to do the same. I respected these kids more then any adult I seen at that mall that day.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2009