Moms who actually do go to the gym, not just have a membership, I need advice.

Need help trying to decide between a rowing machine or an elliptical. Not sure which to choose! I can only afford one. I would love to be able to afford those new treadclimbers by Bowflex, but I am not sure if I could even afford the cheapest version.

I have always heard that rowing was a "total" workout, but not sure how it stacks up against an elliptical. It would be nice to try them both out, but that's not possible so I am asking for opinions, be specific please. Rowing machines get expensive fast and I don't want to waste a ton of money. Anyhow which one would you choose? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would say look on craigslist and ebay for a treadclimber you can find those pretty cheap if you know where to look. The big difference is the quality. A good rowing machine is the best all over, but if you can find one that is well made then I would get an eliptical
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I would go for the elliptical. It seems more like a total body work out to me - more cardio than the rowing machine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• That is very very untrue. A rowing machine is very hardcore cardio. I know this from using them and also from being a river guide rowing a real boat. Using a rowing machine not only builds a strong back and arms which let's face too many people have bad backs and rowing helps that soooo much, but it also gets your heart going without as much perceived effort that an elliptical does. You also build strong legs and butt. If you have ever looked at a rower either pro of college they are in excellent shape and they are not bulky. A good rowing machine is an excellent piece of equipment, and it is lower impact so you won't stress joints.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Elliptical for sure!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2009