Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption Laws (Kansas)

My son is about to turn 3 years old and his biological father has never been in the picture. My husband of 2 years has been with me and him since I was 3 months pregnant. We were only dating at the time and I decided not to have him sign the BC because we didn't know where we were going. Now we want him to legally adopt him but we are not sure where to start or what exactly we need to do...Does anyone have any information.

Answer Question

Asked by angeleyes0306 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Adoption

Level 6 (114 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I'm not sure what you will need to do, but I think you need to contact a good family/adoption lawyer and tell him or her the full story. You want to make sure it's all done correctly. The biological father will need to consent. If he cannot be located, they will publish an ad for a period of time, then terminate his rights. Good luck!

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

  • It's a good thing you didn't have your current boyfriend sign the birth certificate. That's considered fraud. If you want your current man to adopt your son, go about it legally. Trying to cut corners and circumvent the bio father's rights (even if he is a dead beat, he still has rights) only opens you up to legal issues down the road and can cause a ton of heartache for everyone involved, especially your son.

    Usually, you have to file for a step parent adoption with the family courts. You will then have to locate the bio father and have him served, or run an ad in a newspaper that is local to him.....getting a lawyer would be your best bet. They can explain the process and lead you in the right direction.

    Answer by randi1978 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

  • Find a good attorney. My bio dad left when I was 5 and my step dad stepped up as a father to me. He adopted me in my teen years. It was not really that difficult it was established he had not paid support and had no contacted us in well over a year. My parents had to place an ad in the paper about the adoption. He never came forward and my step dad became my real dad legally. I lived in Wichita when the adoption was done. Nice thing is my birth certificate shows my dad has always been my dad does not show I was adopted he is my dad. Really wonderful for me. We had a great attorney who helped us every step of the way he has passed away but there are many good attorneys who could help you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • My husband is actually adopting my daughter right now... and in the state of Kansas. We got a lawyer. We hasn't seen the birth father since she was 2 months old (she is almost 4). We couldn't terminate his parental rights because they go on if the non custodial parent has maintained a relationship AND financially supported the child for the past two years and he had paid 50% of the child support in the past two years, despite still being 4, 000 behind. He found him and after playing some head games he finally agreed to it. Since he has agreed to the adoption it is only costing us $750, including filing and the lawyer. So far my ex and I have both had to sign consents to the adoption in front of a notary and we had to file a petition for adoption. If you want to talk more, send me a message.

    Answer by RosaMae at 12:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.