Ok, genetic disorder question!

Hypothetical situation, and there is no test developed for this disorder. We are trying to figure what the chaotic chance of having the disorder would be.

Say a carrier (not afflicted, but a carrier) of this disorder has a 50% chance of passing on the disorder when mated with a non-carrier.

When the second generation child then mated with a non-carrier, THEIR kids then have a 25% chance of passing it on, right?

Wouldn't that mean that the 3rd generation (when only mated to a non-carrier) is a 12.5% chance to pass it on?

4th generation would be 6.25% when mated to a non-carrier, correct?

I'm arguing with a guy that calls the carrier 100%, and his percentages are a generation behind mine...

matobe

Asked by matobe at 12:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it all depends on the gene, also if the second generation recieves the gene then there is still a 50% chance of passing it on, you cannot know the percentage without knowing if they actually received it.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 12:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• We are guessing at what the odds could be. Am I measuring the odds correctly?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Oh, and it's a recessive gene... btw.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• LOL I had the same type of question on a Bio test in 9th grade. I honestly couldnt tell you though. Maybe you could see if there is a science forum that is open to the public? I know these days you can find a forum for EVERYTHING LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Unless you are making up your own genetics game, the set up is wrong. Both parents have to carry the recessive gene, or one is a carrier and one HAS the disease, in order to pass it on to their children. If both parents are carriers, then the breakdown is this:
    25% chance of having the disorder
    50% chance of being a healthy carrier
    25% chance of not having the gene at all

If one parent has the disorder and one is a carrier, this is the breakdown:
    50% chance of having the disorder
    50% chance of being a healthy carrier
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2009