How long is a Visitation Court Process Usually?

For those that have gone through having your childs bio father go and get a paternity test done, and then go through all of the court processes..how long did the entire thing take from day one of him filing papers to establish paternity (in the case that it was not already established by choice or other circumstances) to the day that he was actually able to have private visitations with child??? Did the guy have to pay for a lawyer or what other expenses does the father usually pay for to establish paternity?And in what state did you live?
Just trying to get an idea of how long this whole thing would take if my childs father ends up going through with filing for paternity, from people who actually have an idea of how this all works. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• We had gone in had the test done and had results back in 3 weeks! Then it took him almost a year of going to court and all that stuff to even get visitation!I live in NY! All courts are different though!
    MarineAngel831

Answer by MarineAngel831 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• For us it didn't take very long maybe 3-6 months. Mine did ask for paternity test - the idiot but whatever works - the results took about a month I think then back in court and we hashed it out pretty quickly. If you can have a lawyer I would suggest you do get one even just for the distance it provides from the father b/c there are emotions involved.
    Not sure why you are not allowing visitations but I'd be pretty careful with that b/c it can come back out you in court if he alleges you are intefering with the develpment of a parental bond.
    Also would suggest keeeping track/logging of all interactions JIK -- they may or may not be admissable depending on the judge but def. help even in just organizing your thoughts.
    The time length depends on your court and how acriminous your issue's are. -- if you agree with things it tends to go faster. You will be asked to mediate b/f they make a decision.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I have not kept him from visiting....its longgg stories but he doesnt come to see him bc he doesnt want to be around me...but i feel that he should be coming regularly before we even begin to talk about visitations by himself for the afternoon or whatever. ...i have kept everything documented, but i doubt that it will matter since anyone can write or say anything. the only thing i have proof of is him being in jail in another country, but thats if a lawyer could get the report, bc i dont have it in my hands, but its the only thing on record that could be brought up. other than that text messages. i dont know if they will believe me when i say he doesnt come around, but he has proof of a few checks he gave me, but then those stopped. so i dont know , just wanted to get some idea of how long things might take. if the whole thing takes at least 3-6 months at least my son will not be an infant by then...
    Anonymous